Langstroth jumbo brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
Can I put national supers and a national base with a jumbo langstroth jumbo brood box I.e will they fit together ok :-D

No, national is 18" sq. and Langstroth is about 20"x16", so you'll have a gap all around.

You can mix national & commercial boxes though.

No, national is 18" sq. and Langstroth is about 20"x16", so you'll have a gap all around.

You can mix national & commercial boxes though.

Thanks there is a jumbo for sale on fleabag and I thought it would give the queen more room and not have to bothe with double brood box on my national hives
Oh we'll back to doubles

Last edited:
Thanks there is a jumbo for sale on fleabag and I thought it would give the queen more room and not have to bothe with double brood box on my national hives
Oh we'll back to doubles

If you do not use excluder, the queen may lays as much as she can.

Different kind of boxes make more problems. To move honey frames and brood frames from box to box is one problem.

Can I put national supers and a national base with a jumbo langstroth jumbo brood box I.e will they fit together ok :-D

... I thought it would give the queen more room and not have to bothe with double brood box on my national hives
Oh we'll back to doubles

I think you need to discover what a "14x12" hive is!

You might find it extremely interesting.

I think you need to discover what a "14x12" hive is!

You might find it extremely interesting.

Unfortunately I do not have a mentor and work every Saturday so cannot attend club sites so I have to rely on books and sites like this for help and information luckily the majority of participant's give out constructive help

Stephen
In your situation I would say Clive de Bryun's book "Practical Beekeeping" would be of help. It has a whole chapter dedicated to hive types and frames.
Additionally lots of other useful information.

Stephen
In your situation I would say Clive de Bryun's book "Practical Beekeeping" would be of help. It has a whole chapter dedicated to hive types and frames.
Additionally lots of other useful information.

Thanks black comb
Just cheaper and quicker putting the question on here
But I will try and get a copy of this book even though I must have 12+ books on beekeeping

If it's any help, stephenpug, I had one colony on double brood at the beginning of last season.
I since changed over all my hives from standard BB to 14 x 12's, which has worked fine except for this one colony, which still need extra room.
I think it just depends on how prolific your bees are. :)

Thanks black comb
Just cheaper and quicker putting the question on here
But I will try and get a copy of this book even though I must have 12+ books on beekeeping

If you do a search I think you will find it as a PDF download (free) from some university site. 14 x 12 is brood and a half on one frame really (as someone told me) tried it this year won't be buying anymore, both have pro's and cons but more room in double and easier to handle.

Latest posts

Back