Langstroth hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I now have a site for my bees for next year and a promise from my local bee association of bees.I plan to have Langstroth hives with Hoffman frames.Where is the best(cheapest) place to buy cedar hives and how many Bits (supers,brood boxes,etc) do I need for each hive.Will probably only start with one or two hives as its my first year.Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and beekeeping. I started with 1 brood and 2 supers for each of my hives and you will find many beginners kits contain 2 supers. I had 3 supers on each of my hives last season as we had a good early honey flow so by late July you may need 1 more.

Good luck

Marc

Hofmanns fine for brood box (10) but some argue manley better for supers (although hofmanns work OK)

3 supers per brood box min, but 4 even better.

The 2 hive makers on here don't make langstroth and believe it or not I have found T*****s to be the cheapest.

Last edited:
Frenchie

May I just enquire as to why you have chosen to go with Langstroth hives?

Marc

Will be moving to France in 2012 and Langstroth hives are the only type used there.

Have they stopped using Dadant in France then?

I would suggest going for poly hives to be honest unless you really want to go for cedar. If you do pickup any kit it will be compatible anyway.

Hi Frenchie,

I know that you specifically asked about cedar but (unless you've already dismissed the idea) if you're thinking of Langstroth then it may be worth checking out the polystyrene hives which 'Modern Beekeeping' down in Devon sell. I've not used them myself but have enquired with a view to buying some for next season; you'll struggle to find cheaper in wood.

Now, this is something of a turn around for me because yes, I have gone on record previously as saying that I have a strong aversion to using plastics and the like in the hive -but, the weight of experience on the Continent is driving me towards trying out the poly hives and you know, I have a 'gut' instinct that I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

Best,
Roland

Frenchie, how wonderful for you, very envious indeed. Great food, wine and landscape im sure your bees will have a great time, oh and your family too I'm sure : )

Wood or poly? I know what I like, but I'm not you. Go with whatever you feel is right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Although I'm not sure your question was about what material more the bits and pieces and pricing.

Good luck

Marc

Really like cedar hives so plan to go with them even if more expensive.Yes Marc france is wonderful,we have had an old farmhouse there for 20yrs and now feel its time to move.

Well good luck with it all, sounds perfect, I hope you keep us all well informed of how you get on. I hope to take my bees on a permanent holiday one day too, but until then.

Marc

Avoiding the cedar aspect, in general in the UK it is advisable to have three supers per hive (as a minimum) In a hotter climate I can see four being useful.

PH

Will be moving to France in 2012 and Langstroth hives are the only type used there.

Hi,

Are you planning on taking them (and the bees) with you?

Best,
Roland

I can assure you they don't use Langstroth!

That's what I thought before I moved here too. You won't find any Lanstroth hives in France. All they use here is Dadant It would be better to wait until you move before you buy your equipment. The main supplier here is Thomas apiculture. The irony is I was using Dadants in the UK and was informed by my local equipment supplier that Langstroths are widely used in France. I now find it impossible to buy foundation, frames or anything for Langstoth here.

Buy the hives when you get to France. They use Dadant Blatt there which is different to the Dadant hives used in the UK. If you want to go down the plastic route have a look at Nicotplas - http://www.nicotplast.fr/PresentationFrancais/FPageCadre.htm

But you will also be able to find plenty of wooden hives. Probably best to find the nearest beekeeping supplier and see what they have first.

French Dadant is different to UK Dadant. The top bar is 470mm long but a UK Dadant or Langstroth is about 483mm long. There is a picture of a shallow "Dadant" frame on the Nicotplas website which gives dimensions. Search for "Baticadre" in the beekeeping bits area. (The design of their website prevents a direct link being posted).

Last edited:
Hi everyone,thanks for all info.Two of my French friends in Normandie have Langstroth hives so thats what I plan to go with.Have one Langstroth at the moment but require at least one other.Cheapest place to buy in the UK??Not sure if I'll be able to take my bees with me due to legal requirements although the weather in Normandie is similar to here.

All he beeks in my area run Dadant, but if your local beeks run Langstroth then it is a good idea to go with them.

I would beg borrow or steal a manky old Langstroth hive and old comb, add some nice new foundation and an entrance block leaving a 1" opening. Take it over when you go on holiday in 2011 and site it on your property (Search the forum for "Bait hives"). By 2012 you MAY have a ready made colony waiting for you.

Hi Frenchie,
sounds like your bees are going to enjoy themselves!
Cornwall honey do Langstroth hives in cedar, I think: I don't have any of their hives, but I've heard that the quality is Ok:
http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/017g.htm

I think that Paynes do Langstroths as well. They're a bit pricey but the quality is good I think.

Maisemore apiaries are where I got my National hive from. They sell all the bits for a Langstroth hive and would doubtless put some together for you if you asked. I visit them fairly often and always enjoy the scent of cedar from their big warehouse, and seeing the growing pile of beehive parts as they machine them on site. They seem to be good at choosing good quality wood - even their "seconds" aren't too bad, and certainly the boxes I've had were made with really nice wood.

You will have the added bonus of being able to swap parts with poly hives if you decide to go that way in the future...

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back