landing platform

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
ive noticed that some of my bees are getting into trouble while landing on the flat platform that ive given them to land on,this only came to light with the rain that we have just had.
my question is should i replace it with a sloped one and if does it matter at wot angle it slopes
thanx:)

Why use a landing platform? Bees naturaly dont need one.

They are quite happy to land and walk around the vertical face of the front of the hive.

But if you did want one, I would say angle it such that water will always run off.

hi all
ive noticed that some of my bees are getting into trouble while landing on the flat platform that ive given them to land on,this only came to light with the rain that we have just had.
my question is should i replace it with a sloped one and if does it matter at wot angle it slopes
I have always used landing platforms ,however I coat with varnish, allow to dry and then gloop a really thick coating on and then pour sieved sand (previously dried in the oven ) ,tip off the loose sand and then I place a board on and press with a house brick and allow the dry. when completely dry I remove brick and board, I'm left with a finish that resembles sand paper:). This prevents water from pooling by draining freely (No more upside down bees stuck to the landing board dead!).

John Wilkinson

does it matter at wot angle it slopes

Joinery standard is 7 1/2 degrees minimum. Less than that and water will not necessarily run off, but may remain and dry 'in situ'. This is for windowsills etc. Would apply here as well.

As the rest say, you don't need a landing platform but if you must, it should slope, as water may be driven into the opening, if it is level with the floor. That may not be good for the bees. A rough or grooved surface is better than smooth in any situation, flat or sloped.

WBCs had a landing area, but Nationals did not until the fancy floors were offered. A couple of my mesh floors (old fire guards, picked up at car boot sales) are extended down the front of the opening. Seems OK, but possibly not so good in the winter in marginal flying conditions.

So, as usual, more than one consideration in the design, depending on what your floor type is, the relevant levels, the surface finish, slope of your hive, and maybe more....

Regards, RAB

hi all

I find it most entertaining when then topple over on the landing platform..........so I would never be without one :)

Also I noticed, when the platform is wet they quite often get stuck on their back/side, but another bee comes along and rescues her bee-smillie

Yours Roy

I like landing board. Nothing wrong in it. I use normal wooden board or wooden ply, which do not form water film on surface.

Board is usefull in many cases.

I have a small hole in the root of board. If bees get under the board, they have a straight way into hive via hole.

Most of my bee traffics go via upper entrances and the wall is then landing board.

I do not know what bees need. I have neved asked.

Last edited:
Landing platform

I am extending the landing platform on my wbc hive as the hive has a piece of wood sticking out over the entrance to keep rain and water off the landing platform and hive entrance (well that's what I was told it was for), but it would seem the bees are having trouble landing between the over hang and on the landing board especially when there is a lot of coming and going in the sunny weather. As a lot of bees seem to end up in the grass and then just die!!:(
So going to double the length of the landing board and see if this makes any difference.

I would be tempted to remove the board above the entrance and tilt the hive forward slightly, if you extend the landing board it is going to get wet anyway so removing the higher board will have a similar effect while not being so confusing for the bees.

Latest posts

Back