Labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another spell check for you: .... best PROOF of its quality ....

Needs to say Product of UK

‘Needs to say Product of UK’

Interesting... a Trading Standards Officer told me that I could not use Cornwall as the place of production... as it was a Dutchy... Similarly for Wales as it is a Principallity... never mentioned England... however he was adamant that the CORRECT WORDING is Product of UK... so to avoid falling foul of the legslature.. that is what we use on our labels.

Do whatever you like... you are most unlikely to be dragged through the Courts.. unless some petty official wants to make an example of you!

Nos da

Produce of Wales is accepted by Rhondda Cynon Taff.
Wales the land of the free.
:Wales_flag: :hurray: :D

Nantmoel

Nice label - very striking;
as well as the 'poof/proof. typo and the 'for/from' one, you might want to say retains goodness as opposed to contains goodness etc (which i'm sure it does!).
TS may question the length of the best before date -we all know its ok but they may get twitchy.

Nantmoel

as well as the 'poof/proof. typo and the 'for/from' one, you might want to say retains goodness as opposed to contains goodness etc (which i'm sure it does!).
TS may question the length of the best before date -we all know its ok but they may get twitchy.

RCT TS would be happy with the best before date

What can I say! Proof read and proof read then post it here for others to read, again a massive thank you for picking up two typo's I missed..

I'm not buying anything described as coming from that all-embracing area called England. If it doesn't say Yorkshire on the jar its provenance is immediately suspect. It may come from Lancashire or London, and in either case......

Nantmoel

Yes typo's have been sorted - TS are happy with the Best Before date, its a while in the future as to get the best price on roll labels you have to have 5K or more printed..

Years ago I was given a label lesson by a honey packer.

His primary point was readability. As in can you stand in the shop aisle and READ the text. If the answer is no, well, there's a problem. People who can't see what the product is don't pick it up and if it don't get picked up it definitely won't end up in the basket.

Try it in the supermarket and you may be surprised. :)

PH

Interesting... a Trading Standards Officer told me that I could not use Cornwall as the place of production... as it was a Dutchy... Similarly for Wales as it is a Principallity... never mentioned England... however he was adamant that the CORRECT WORDING is Product of UK... so to avoid falling foul of the legslature.. that is what we use on our labels.

Do whatever you like... you are most unlikely to be dragged through the Courts.. unless some petty official wants to make an example of you!

Nos da

Like wise I was told by North Yorks trading standards that England was not a recognized place, the same as Yorkshire. Correct wording was to use "Product of UK". I assume this is because although our honey is only sold in the local area, the standards are EU wide and our membership is as part of the UK.
So that is what we have printed on all our labels.

Years ago I was given a label lesson by a honey packer.

His primary point was readability. As in can you stand in the shop aisle and READ the text. If the answer is no, well, there's a problem. People who can't see what the product is don't pick it up and if it don't get picked up it definitely won't end up in the basket.

Try it in the supermarket and you may be surprised. :)

PH

I agree with that.... go to a "Garden Center" and look at the "Local" honey available... some of the labeling is bloody awful!... some described as local is repackaged and rightfully says Produce of EU and non (China) Countries!!!!
Copyright infringements ( Poo Bear images from AA Milnes front piece etc) and having claims of Clovelly Honey etc etc... .....

Stand back and see if your label sells your product.

Nadelik Lowen

You can enter the County. The Regulations simply state what must be included on the label. They do not prohibit adding any other words.

Yes typo's have been sorted - TS are happy with the Best Before date, its a while in the future as to get the best price on roll labels you have to have 5K or more printed..

How will you deal with the batch number issue? I assume you don't get 5K labels printed all with the same batch number - or do you?

I am in the process of getting new labels printed on reels so I can I apply them with a hand labelling machine. Here is my label design and was wondering if any of the beekeepers here have had 'Trading Standards' advice them what they can and can't put on the label. I understand that the word 'Raw' or 'Organic' can not bee used. Organic as you have to guarantee that the bees have not collected nectar from flowers that have not treated (this is impossible). I have designed a number of labels for other beekeepers as well..
https://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u409/phibb/VB Outlines_zps73vicovx.png

I note that your product is 'unfiltered'. Does that mean you run it from the spinner into jars or buckets, bits of wax and all?

I note that your product is 'unfiltered'. Does that mean you run it from the spinner into jars or buckets, bits of wax and all?

difference between straining and filtering - most people strain their honey to get rid of bee bits wax and watchsprings :D

difference between straining and filtering - most people strain their honey to get rid of bee bits wax and watchsprings :D

strain1 DEFINITION.

verb
gerund or present participle: straining
force (a part of one's body or oneself) to make an unusually great effort.
"I stopped and listened, straining my ears for any sound"
pour (a mainly liquid substance) through a porous or perforated device or material in order to separate out any solid matter.
https://tinyurl.com/y839g6xh

Definition of filter (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : a porous article or mass (as of paper or sand) through which a gas or liquid is passed to separate out matter in suspension

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filter

I doubt there is any difference in law...

Look to any technical discussion on the subject and it boils down to:
Straining is generally considered a much coarser operation and is usually employed to catch larger particles
Filtering refers to a finer removal process

Basically a flour sieve as opposed to a coffee filter.

Latest posts

Back