Label suppliers -

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning, The company I ordered the labels last time no longer exist. anyone suggest alternative companies who offer the same design?
Thanks

the same design
That label was unique to the company (name escapes me) but there are better designers out there - and it's a designer that you need.

For print only you could try fastlabels.co.uk or sticky labels.com but you would need print-ready artwork, including internal bleeds, proof corrections and CMYK; best leave that side of things to the designer.

There are a few alternatives to the outdated folksy rubbish from beekeeping suppliers such as Thorne: label.co.uk/honey-labels looks efficient and offers a design service, but you'd have to know roughly what you want.

Another is valleybeekeeping.co.uk but it's not my cup of tea and you'll notice that it didn't advise it's customers that creamed honey is not a reserved description (may suggest cream has been added), that raw has no legal status and may get you a warning letter from TS, and that Batch number ought to be Lot number.

Avery offer honey label design and print at £50 for a thousand, but you'd have to know which font to choose and all the rest, and unless you have a design background it can end up looking very amateur.

Make sure that you follow the Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006 regarding font height of honey weight and the Honey (England) Regulations 2015 in general.

Last edited:
I use this company
https://www.chec.co.uk

in East Sussex. Great people who also employ disabled people. if you send a template they will print labels tamper stickers etc. Never let me down
Thanks heather. I use vista print but would much rather use a company like this.

Morning, The company I ordered the labels last time no longer exist. anyone suggest alternative companies who offer the same design?
Thanks
That looks very much like being in the style of the company I used for my first batch of labels. In hindsight quite expensive and there are better options out there as others have said. (I'd recommend the guy I use but he's no longer taking on new business).

Thanks
Agree with Eric, that unfortunately the design you had been using would have belonged to the designer. It might be worth ensuring that this time around you own the template yourself so that you won't have the same difficulty again in future. it'll always be easy to find a printer as long as you have a file you can send them - and most will be able to make any small text edits etc. that you might need to make to the file in future.

My labels are all homemade, but then I have a background in graphics so can quickly and easily draw up a design myself, and even print them myself.

Attachments

• honey jars.jpg
    honey jars.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
There are a few alternatives to the outdated folksy rubbish from beekeeping suppliers such as Thorne
🤣 Can’t “bee” doing too bad as at least they haven’t folded - at least I know 🤞come ordering time at least I’ll have some ‘outdated folksy rubbish’ delivered at a reasonable cost in a reasonable time scale 👍

Agree with Eric, that unfortunately the design you had been using would have belonged to the designer. It might be worth ensuring that this time around you own the template yourself so that you won't have the same difficulty again in future. it'll always be easy to find a printer as long as you have a file you can send them - and most will be able to make any small text edits etc. that you might need to make to the file in future.

My labels are all homemade, but then I have a background in graphics so can quickly and easily draw up a design myself, and even print them myself.
Very nice.

Do you have any tips regarding label type and possibly package to use to make a design?

I only have a few hives so getting a designer in seems a bit excessive atm and I do not like the mass produced templates. Currently I do a fairly plain design to try to keep it 'clean' and simple but feel the type of label is letting me down a bit and maybe I should be using a laser printer rather than inkjet. I also am currently stuck using word for the the labels too.

Do you have any tips regarding label type and possibly package to use to make a design?

I only have a few hives so getting a designer in seems a bit excessive atm and I do not like the mass produced templates. Currently I do a fairly plain design to try to keep it 'clean' and simple but feel the type of label is letting me down a bit and maybe I should be using a laser printer rather than inkjet. I also am currently stuck using word for the the labels too.
I agree with you, I really don't like most of the mass produced labels.
I'm lucky enough to have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for my work, so I use those to draw up designs. With only a couple of hives I print my own labels. I have a laser printer, so the ink isn't affected by water - I'd certainly recommend a laser printer if you want to print your own. For the last couple of years I've used paper labels. They were fine, and were less of a problem getting messy with honey, or wet than I'd thought they might be. But nevertheless I'm trying out poly (plastic) labels this year. They're much more durable, but of course they're plastic, and much more expensive. Haven't made up my mind whether to stick with them or go back to paper next year.

If you have an idea for a design, or have seen something that you like, I'd be happy to draw something up for you - just pm me.

Looks fantastic 👌

I'm lucky enough to have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for my work, so I use those to draw up designs. With only a couple of hives I print my own labels. I have a laser printer, so the ink isn't affected by water - I'd certainly recommend a laser printer if you want to print your own. For the last couple of years I've used paper labels. They were fine, and were less of a problem getting messy with honey, or wet than I'd thought they might be. But nevertheless I'm trying out poly (plastic) labels this year. They're much more durable, but of course they're plastic, and much more expensive. Haven't made up my mind whether to stick with them or go back to paper next year.

If you have an idea for a design, or have seen something that you like, I'd be happy to draw something up for you - just pm me.
That is very kind of you. I will have a think then drop you a PM.

There are a few alternatives to the outdated folksy rubbish from beekeeping suppliers such as Thorne: label.co.uk/honey-labels looks efficient and offers a design service, but you'd have to know roughly what you want.

Thanks for your views. I've been using the same label from T's for over 40 years and have no intention of changing....

Attachments

• D1191AD4-E549-43B8-ABBA-ABC7140117C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    D1191AD4-E549-43B8-ABBA-ABC7140117C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

A good alternative to photoshop is the affinity suite of programs Affinity Publisher – Professional Desktop Publishing Software (serif.com) as steep a learning curve as illustrator but without the subscription model of payment.

Plastic labels are great but as you say expensive. I used the clear ones but you have to remember (I'm sure you do) that printers don't usually (unless you have a special printer) print white, so the background is the colour of your honey.

I use serif “page plus”, I find it very easy to use and it has templates for all the popular Avery label sizes.

Latest posts

Back