Label materials

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with a laser printer?
Yes, it was with a laser printer. I Googled it and there was stuff about not putting labels through twice and not letting them get too hot before you use them:unsure:.....no idea if this is true but since using the label setting, I have not had any problems.

I have found the non-Avery labels don't quite match in placement and measurements with MS Publisher. I use Word and download a Template from the label manufacturers which means pasting into each separate cell, it's tedious but it works better. I then save as a PDF and print using my work photocopier/printer which has ink which gives a robust rub-proof label.
Funnily enough I found that too using DECAdry labels but if I put them in the other way round they work! There seems to be different margins on the top to the bottom!

The best label program I have used is Enlabel but it costs £600. I am using Inkscape for design which is a powerful graphics app, free, and Flexilabels gloss vinyl labels. You can adjust the spacing when you duplicate the label. Save as à .PDF then laser print at a print shop. I plan to get a laser printer budget allowing. Seems to work ok.

Most of my labels were designed using Serif Page plus X9, unfortunately that's no longer made so I'm transferring the designs to Affinity Publisher. I also use single sheet labels either paper or plastic in a laser printer, This means I can do a design for a label and make it any size, even wrap around the jar with a back panel story or production information if I want then put multiple copies of it on the one page and cut them out. I've even had a small bit of success with filling up the spaces on the sheet with self made seals, coloured to match the main label design rather than use the generic on a roll ones. They're just a bit of a faff to cut out if you get too fancy with the edges. The only thing you need to be aware of with single sheets is getting an edge to release the backing. It helps to orientate the designs so a release edge is at one end or the other and not trim it off when cutting out the labels.

I find the great thing abut designing labels is you can use a design that focuses on the 'local' production of the honey, rather than a generic design of a bee hive or skep that most of the bought labels seem to show. Or easily do a souvenir label for a special event.

Also printing your own makes doing labels for different sizes of jars a lot easier as you don't have to buy a set amount, and you can also do your own sell by dates and batch numbers. When I save the design I will include the batch number, size and date of production in the label filename then put them all in one folder. This means I then have the batch numbers already married up to the date of production should I need them. I generally don't sell via a wholesaler so don't need the batch numbers but I need them for selling honey at shows so it's just as easy to put them on anyway.

All the above only really works for small batches of honey though, if you're doing more than say 50 jars then generic labels are faster.

I take a slightly different approach to labeling.

I design very simple labels in word, no graphics, just some text, keeping it minimalist. I actually use 2 labels, for front and back of jar. This is to keep with the minimalist theme.

I print them on standard paper. I cut them by hand, not caring if they are square. Finlay, I stick them to the jars with wide sellotape, again not caring if they are a bit wonky.

The tape gives them good splash/ware resistance. My labels are also easy to remove with a good soak.

The final result is honey that looks home-made. If you saw a jar of my honey in a friends kitchen, you would instantly know its not from a shop.

I was able to charge more per lb then most the sellers in my area and all my honey is long gone. Admittedly my harvest was small compared to some of you guys, but what I had sold fast.

I would not put fancy lables on my jars if you gave them to me.

Interesting marketing technique. Similar to putting squares of gingham on pots of jam with a rubber band.

Latest posts

Back