Label materials

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, How does the shrink wrap work and where can it be recycled? thanks.

eBay item number:

£4.50 for 1000

Place wrap around lid
Put a polish tin or similar on top to prevent shrink wrap popping up an off!
Heat with heat air gun on low
Shrink wrap... shrinks.. and provides a tamper evident seal.
Small perforations in the seal allow for removal.
Much better than the paper seals that can easily (and serupticiously) be broken

We put all the bits of plastic like this in a carrier bag and put it out for recycle on the Councils recycle collection day... presumably sorted at the recycle plant.

Chons da

We put all the bits of plastic like this in a carrier bag and put it out for recycle on the Councils recycle collection day... presumably sorted at the recycle plant.
Yep - they'll dump it into landfill for you as it's non recyclable

Capital Valley Plastics of Cwmbran accept all 'stretchy' plastics including bubble wrap, drinks can wrappers, bread wrappers etc. Their Facebook page gives collection points in the area. They recycle it into damp proof membrane l believe.
Most major supermarkets also accept stretchy plastic along with their carrier bag recycling.

That's good
Future generations will "mine" landfill sites for valuable commodities at some time in the future, so our depository is a valuable resource.
At least it will not be burned and add to global climatic change!
I am sure the Lib Dem run Cornwall council have a secure handle on this recycling game..... Devon seems to be in a hell of a mess!
Yeghes da

Capital Valley Plastics of Cwmbran accept all 'stretchy' plastics including bubble wrap, drinks can wrappers, bread wrappers etc. Their Facebook page gives collection points in the area. They recycle it into damp proof membrane l believe.
Most major supermarkets also accept stretchy plastic along with their carrier bag recycling.
It's not 'stretchy plastic though, it's heat shrunk, get brittle and non resueable

Try £34.50/1000 and not £4.50.

Try £34.50/1000 and not £4.50.
OMG... they must have sent out the wrong amount!
Still only 8 pence each in old pre decimal money ( I have to work that out for my mother who is as old as our dear Queen... Bless Her !

Chons da

All my maintenance clients put there own labels on that they produce. Where I supply special labels it's normally only in batches of 1-2 dozen so I do it for them.

I keep all my honey records on an XL spreadsheet with details of each batch and who I sell them wholesale to.

It's good to learn from thoughs that do!
Cheers.

From this thread, I see that some people design labels with Avery and some use Publisher. Are there any other good alternatives? I like my non-Avery label size and I don't have Publisher. I use a very out-of-date, non-web version of DesignPro (which works with non-Avery labels, unlike the web version) and, when my 8-year-old laptop dies, that option will die with it.

I just use an ordinary word programme, you can add pictures and text boxes and move them around etc. It means changing batch numbers and sell by dates is really easy

From this thread, I see that some people design labels with Avery and some use Publisher. Are there any other good alternatives? I like my non-Avery label size and I don't have Publisher. I use a very out-of-date, non-web version of DesignPro (which works with non-Avery labels, unlike the web version) and, when my 8-year-old laptop dies, that option will die with it.
I tried several on line systems but got very frustrated by them and of course they all want you to buy their labels. I had never really used publisher but had to use it on a project and my client sent me their 2013 version. Its very easy and it allows you to use any size of label just by putting in the margins and separation of the labels,
I can now buy my labels from any source and I was initially buying them from LabelPlanet but they couldn't supply the "plastic" finish that I went for this year so I now buy them from Flexilabels who have an amazing range.
As Enrico says its very easy to change Lot Numbers and Best Before dates when you can print in small numbers.
I would certainly recommend Publisher and a Laser printer. I print in mono so they are dirt cheap.

Publisher set to print labels and a4labels.com
I only put a label on at point of sale as I find the paper labels rub in the box and look awful. I've thought about plasticised labels but am put off by the recycling issues.
I find that I need to set the printer setting to "labels" when printing, otherwise the print rubs off.

I have found the non-Avery labels don't quite match in placement and measurements with MS Publisher. I use Word and download a Template from the label manufacturers which means pasting into each separate cell, it's tedious but it works better. I then save as a PDF and print using my work photocopier/printer which has ink which gives a robust rub-proof label.

Last edited:
Publisher set to print labels and a4labels.com
I only put a label on at point of sale as I find the paper labels rub in the box and look awful. I've thought about plasticised labels but am put off by the recycling issues.
I find that I need to set the printer setting to "labels" when printing, otherwise the print rubs off.
Even with a laser printer?

Latest posts

Back