L shaped entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I think there was a link a few days ago to a page describing a hive floor with an L -shaped X-section slot entrance. I've searched here and in google, but cant find it. Will anyone point me at it as I want to have a go at making one.

Try this ...

http://www.edinburghbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf

I've just built a couple and am pleased with them. I made the entrance 'slot' a pretty-standard 19mm or so high so that I can use a cut down (width) narrow entrance or my usual foam strip when moving hives. I've yet to use them with a mouse guard (and they may not need one), but have realised that it would have to be cut down to fit.

--
fatshark

Try this ...

http://www.edinburghbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf

I've just built a couple and am pleased with them. I made the entrance 'slot' a pretty-standard 19mm or so high so that I can use a cut down (width) narrow entrance or my usual foam strip when moving hives. I've yet to use them with a mouse guard (and they may not need one), but have realised that it would have to be cut down to fit.

--
fatshark

in that format they dont have an yfloor space above the mesh so only 6mm of bottom bee space under a standard brood, which means puting frames back is diffucult..normllt the space is 6+21mm, so add a 21mm eke or unstand

SixFooter,

You mean a vertical entrance like on a Dartington?

I make that into a sharp 90 degree turn by inserting a wooden block, to adjust the width of the horizontal section. Simples.

Can't remember the thread title, but it was that bloke who 'ain't coming back again, ever' who was delivering a floor for 40 quid.

Regards, RAB

in that format they dont have an yfloor space above the mesh so only 6mm of bottom bee space under a standard brood, which means puting frames back is diffucult..normllt the space is 6+21mm, so add a 21mm eke or unstand

Do you also have a 27mm beespace between your box's then?

Shame about the queen MM.....could just as easily happened on double brood or simply replacing a frame and the queen is on a side bar or some such place,perhaps shake the bee's on top of the frames already in the box,but if doing a shook swarm i think that popping the queen into a cage until the shook swarm is done.....and then release her last is the best thing to do.

I think we have been here with the bee space arguments before, only recently.

I make myself a variant Kewl floor that gives me more bee space for the reasons that have been pointed out.

I normally used a pencil to set the aperture distance over the 50mm vertical distance, but have been playing with the aperture arrangements a little, ranging from a 6mm ply panel defining the 50mm high aperture as standard, to my latest where I have used a 50mm deep slice of twin walled polycarbonate sheet. I'll ask the bees tomorrow how they like it. The fact that the wasps would be able to see the bees should also confuse them slightly. The bees have no problems once they know what's what.

The landing board has been a little bit more variable in it's implementation.

That entrance is an old friend but I have never consideret that system.

In these ases I ask from me

1) does the entrance bring honey

2) does it make nursing easier

3) why you need it

Don't know if anyone else has used one like this

I daresay they have. Plans on the internet, and all that, for the whole world to see and use (or modify - like that but slightly different).

As has been said earlier (much earlier on a similar thread), no problems in the summer, as long as there is a decent under-frame space - more likely over wintering woes.

Regards, RAB

Thanks.

The entrance block on one of my hives is regularly blown out by the wind. I could nail it in , but I thought this type of floor might help the bees cope with the wind better.

Also, I'm on leave from work, but it's raining, so I've time on my hands. And I bought 10 sheets of mesh a while ago for some strange reason.

Latest posts

Back