Konigin 1st use

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I bought a 9 frame radial "dual fuel" (electric + manual) konigin extractor with tangential baskets earlier this season.
I've just done my 1st extraction with it - 6 supers, 50kg of honey the result.
I'd read about one member's poor experience with these extractors so though I would report my experience.
I cleaned it pre-use with warm water and washing up liquid. No issue with sharp edges, yes some quite angular but not a problem and no injuries.
Extractor easy to load and run. Ive only used it in radial mode so far.
Cleaning was after the bees had stopped flying (they are in the garden), and was pretty easy with a jetwasher. Brought back inside and dried off, left open to dry thoroughly.
So far I'm very happy with it. Needed to tilt it to drain the last of the honey. Not a big issue.

I bought a 9 frame radial "dual fuel" (electric + manual) konigin extractor with tangential baskets earlier this season.
I've just done my 1st extraction with it - 6 supers, 50kg of honey the result.
I'd read about one member's poor experience with these extractors so though I would report my experience.
I cleaned it pre-use with warm water and washing up liquid. No issue with sharp edges, yes some quite angular but not a problem and no injuries.
Extractor easy to load and run. Ive only used it in radial mode so far.
Cleaning was after the bees had stopped flying (they are in the garden), and was pretty easy with a jetwasher. Brought back inside and dried off, left open to dry thoroughly.
So far I'm very happy with it. Needed to tilt it to drain the last of the honey. Not a big issue.
Thanks Sutty,
I've been looking round at extractors and having trouble making a decision so this is really helpul. I wasnt aware you could get dual manual and electric.

If you don't mind me asking, could you give me an idea of the price range you paid for it please?

Mine's the 12frame all electric- no regrets whatsoever
Build quality is superb -no sharp edges at all, anywhere.
Good solid machine.
Use a rubber bladed window squeegee to move the honey down the drum when finished.
Pressure washer (best done outside)and spray with Milton before storage.
Replaced pesky wing nuts with stainless steel M6 thumb wheels.
Reversed the bolts on the back leg and put the same thumbwheels on the outside so I can easily turn the leg inside out for storage and doorway manoeuvres.

Not sure about the Weetabix powered mode but using electricity, the drum is wide so I can put a batch in on low speed for 5 minutes to empty the excess fairly quickly before easing up the dial.

Yesterday I had the beast at warp factor 11
An angry little Scotsman burst into the room and screamed " the ship canna take anymore"
I'd made some foundationless and they survived but I had two wired frames blow out.

40 frame here, zero issues spinning 200-250lb of frames/honey, great for the money.

I agree with all above comments. I've had my 12 frame for 3 years now and it's performed well. The only downside is Thornes have had to replace my controller 4 times due to it burning out but I now think I've stopped this by using an anti spike plug on the supply.

I think I must have had the one that was built on a Friday that they forgot to take the sharp edges off. Pleased it doesn't seem to be a persistent problem😄

I agree with all above comments. I've had my 12 frame for 3 years now and it's performed well. The only downside is Thornes have had to replace my controller 4 times due to it burning out but I now think I've stopped this by using an anti spike plug on the supply

Neil did it originally have an continental plug with its own switch?
Might need to change mine then

Neil did it originally have an continental plug with its own switch?
Might need to change mine then
When I bought it from Thornes it had UK plug but I bought an anti spike adapter to plug into.

Does sound that way, mine seems to have been de-burred, nothing sharp. Maybe they missed that step for yours.
I don’t think their draughtsmen have heard the instruction .” Break all edges “ !

I agree with all above comments. I've had my 12 frame for 3 years now and it's performed well. The only downside is Thornes have had to replace my controller 4 times due to it burning out but I now think I've stopped this by using an anti spike plug on the supply.
Had to replace the controller on ours to, but Thornes replaced very quickly. Only problem I have had is the instruction are pants but YouTube has a great video.

We had to replace the controller on ours too, Thornes were very were very quick to get sorted but shame we had to. Biggest problem Ive had is understanding the instructions but YouTube came to the rescue

My 9 frame is great, but I also had to have the controller replaced after the first season

Jc

These controller issues are a little concerning, are the newer (new) units better with protection built in?.

Back