Knapweed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Do honeybees use common knapweed?
My hives are on a hillside covered with them and since it's stopped raining they have been busy flying away into the distance. There's some blackberry and willow herb still so I suppose that's tastier.

I walked up to Beachy head a week or so ago and saw this plant with honey bees on - although it has quite a full head it does seem to be liked by honey bees.

My bees seem to love it - but as you observe, there are many variables (largely unknown to us) as to why they may not forage on it at a particular time or day. My guess would be that there are specific conditions which enable the nectar to flow more readily and be more accessible for their shorter tongues.

My bees seem to love it - but as you observe, there are many variables (largely unknown to us) as to why they may not forage on it at a particular time or day. My guess would be that there are specific conditions which enable the nectar to flow more readily and be more accessible for their shorter tongues.

Yes, this is a whole science in itself. I have read about nectar release,temperature and humidity and it's fascinating. Bees just get on with it while we dance around trying to analyse the finer points.

Latest posts

Back