kitchen scale in Lidl

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I bought a scale from Lidl. Its accuracy is 1g and it weigts up to 5kg.

I tried how good it is to weight small amounts. It is accurate enough but a little unstabile. Better to set up with coins.

1 euro coin is 7,5 g like trickling formula ask. so you may put 2 euro coins and it really gived 15g.

100 g it told to be 98 and 200g to be 195g. 700g was 683g

the price was only 13 euro.

Seems to work well enough to make oxalic syrup and I may use it in other jobs.

No disrespect finski but I have a set of "stamped" weights, which have been checked by the authorities and I use them to double check electronic scales to make sure they are accurate.

Actually if any one is handy to me and wants to check their scales they can have a go.

PH

Stamped weight are good.

Digital balances are easy to violate. It is better check them often.
Even air moisture spoil them.

Last edited:
Cheap / free scale calibration method

Cheap tall plastic 500ml measuring cylinder from any chemist , tare on scales, zero is always zero, fill up to 500g mark, check it reads 500g, known % error otherwise,

or any other narrow necked absolute known volume container and the same principle.

simples!

Last edited:
I have always found the acuarcy of moderen electronics to be of more than sufficent for most needs straight out of the box, with very little reason for error or drift.

I find this on a daily basis when my work spans weighings of 6 decimal places to +/- 1000T, not for the same item of course.

But I do like finmans use of the coins as they are made to high tolarances, this comes back to the orginal "see-saw" type balances.

Last edited:
Rosti,

You're not advocating the use of a volumetric flask, are you? Must be grade A, of course!!

Corr, and assuming the density (SG) of water to be exactly one at 16(?) degrees Celsius (or is it 20?).

Whatever next?

OK, grade B glassware will do for this application.

What I did was simply check some weights on an assay balance and I use those for checking the scales, so no need to even get my volumetric flasks out.

Regards, RAB

Rosti,

You're not advocating the use of a volumetric flask, are you? Must be grade A, of course!!

Corr, and assuming the density (SG) of water to be exactly one at 16(?) degrees Celsius (or is it 20?).

Whatever next?

OK, grade B glassware will do for this application.

What I did was simply check some weights on an assay balance and I use those for checking the scales, so no need to even get my volumetric flasks out.

Regards, RAB

You are a tinker - you know I am!

I can't help it, lived in Yorkshire too long RAB - I now place more importance on cost than accuracy!

... and I am sure that Galileo will forgive us a bit of std density variance and Newton will over look a bit of graviity fluctuation if we promise them some free jars of semi-accurately weighed honey :Angel_anim:

(we'll have to extend the standisation temperature range as well ..... -15'C in York over night -11'C and falling again now. The only person who currently has a chance of using my method with good accuracy on this forum is Norton :xmas-smiley-010:

Digital balances are easy to violate. It is better check them often.
Even air moisture spoil them.
And take your mobile phone out of your pocket, mine plays hell with the (salter) digital kitchen scales. :)

And take your mobile phone out of your pocket, mine plays hell with the (salter) digital kitchen scales. :)

well. I tried to wake up the balance with nokia c6 phone, but it did not react.
When i put a phone on balance, your idea worked, 150 g

Rosti,

Yorkshire and 'tight' come to mind, but I think careful, thrifty, thoughtful and practical better describe you lot! At least one of my Great Grandfathers came from Yorkshire.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back