Kiss

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davethegas

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Sorry folks, following all the threads I can, newbie, but what does KISS stand for? not in acronym list. Also what are the advantages over clipping a Queen against not? Would you clip if you re-queen annually? Sorry to sound like a numbnuts.

darren

blimey mate, I was just about to say theres no need for that... until the penny dropped. lol.

The advantage of clipping a queen over not,is that if they swarm you don't lose most your bee's as well as the queen.

Dave,
If you clip a queens wing it stops her flying away if the bees decide to swarm. The bees come out and land on a branch etc and then realise the Q`s not there and return to the hive so you don`t lose half of your foraging force. They will however, leave a few days later when a virgin is ready, so it just gives you a few days breathing space

Darren.

I've heard some beeks claim on very rare occasions when they have clipped the queen they found her and a small cluster of bees dead on the floor outside the hive. They believe they tried to swarm when the queen tried to fly she fell off the hive and failed to return in time before it rained or the temps dropped.

KISS, I believe was started in the US as 'keep it simple, sweetie'

I often suggest the KISS principle at work but would get dismissed or laughed at (or looked at in a funny way!), if I used the original!! Even have to be careful with the last 'S' too.

Regards, RAB

PeteN

Thanks all for the feedback, and pete for the support. I get the impression that clipping is a method and has its uses, but least preferred, am I right?

Thanks all for the feedback, and pete for the support. I get the impression that clipping is a method and has its uses, but least preferred, am I right?

I clip and mark,it is handy if the weather turns as it buy's you a few extra days if they are thinking of swarming.

No.

Clipping is the most preferred way to go.

I won't mention where I got KISS from and when it was first posted on here... LOL

PH

Clipping is the most preferred way to go. PH

PH surely that view is based on having sufficient experience to get it right and sufficient colonies to allow you to recover cheaply if you get it wrong. If you've only got limited queen handling experince and only two colonies then a 50% gamble feels wrong in this instance. As it stands Dave has no hives, no bees and no experience, that can't be the right recommendation for his circumstances? R

Last edited:
No, we do not need another poll!

I don't clip. A poll would be skewed because those with multiple hives are more likely to clip them all.

I do, however, agree entirely with Rosti.

Regards, RAB

I answered the question as posed.

Clipping is the preferred method. Yes.

If you have no experience then practice on drones, but remember to kill them lest you get confused.

PH

I won't mention where I got KISS from and when it was first posted on here... LOL

From a rudimentary search it would appear that you used it, in a post, first time on June 2nd last year.

I've used it far longer than that, but I only joined July last year.

Regards, RAB

Hello Dave

I definately clip all my queens. When you start to clip for the first time it is very nerve racking because when you inspect a hive the only thing your a little concerned about is damaging the queen. But, its very good experience getting used to picking up the queen and handling her. If you wear gloves, and I do, try and use practical ones. My girlfriend is a beautician and I use beauty therapy gloves - they are BRILLIANT. Disposable and only £3.99 for 100 pairs.

If you do not like the idea of clipping a queen because of confidence, ask at your local association and you'll be surprised to learn that there is an experienced beekeeper who lives locally to you who would be more than happy to do it.

Hi Tberni, great tip, daughter is beautician too, will get some from her & look into what you suggest.

Latest posts

Back