Kingspan in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi can any harm be done by using kingspan inside the hive to take up space of empty combs?

I use kingspan or a similar foam to take up space during winter and also when starting a new colony off. I cut it to fit inside a frame and then slot in leaving at least one empty frame to allow for expansion adition of honey.
S

i use it to make a nuc size hive from a standard brood box but paint the kingspan with water based paint to stop any chewing by the bees

two coats of paint makes it less friable

inside insulation

" have also used it before but generally seal the edges with duck tape or similar."

so can i take it that an of the various polystyrene sheets that have been discussed on various threads are ok to put inside the hive IF they are completely sealed with duck/gaffer tape? Otherwise will knock up a few frames with sheets boarded into them.

so can i take it that an of the various polystyrene sheets that have been discussed on various threads are ok to put inside the hive IF they are completely sealed with duck/gaffer tape? Otherwise will knock up a few frames with sheets boarded into them.

Yes I've done that without any problems.
I've also made up dummy boards with p/s stuck to the back side. This works except if it gets hot the glue tends to melt and it falls off. Will staple it on next time.

Polystyrene does not need sealing at the edges but Kingspan does ideally. This is because the interior foam is quite friable. There is also the slight chance of fumes but I suspect this is not a problem, having built a hive of the stuff once and finding the bees preferred the edges to the middle of the hive.

Latest posts

Back