Kingspan in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

dano41 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Hi can any harm be done by using kingspan inside the hive to take up space of empty combs?

Stiffy 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
Hi can any harm be done by using kingspan inside the hive to take up space of empty combs?
I use kingspan or a similar foam to take up space during winter and also when starting a new colony off. I cut it to fit inside a frame and then slot in leaving at least one empty frame to allow for expansion adition of honey.
S

tidymeup 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have also used it before but generally seal the edges with duck tape or similar.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
i use it to make a nuc size hive from a standard brood box but paint the kingspan with water based paint to stop any chewing by the bees

two coats of paint makes it less friable

drstitson 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
inside insulation

" have also used it before but generally seal the edges with duck tape or similar."

so can i take it that an of the various polystyrene sheets that have been discussed on various threads are ok to put inside the hive IF they are completely sealed with duck/gaffer tape? Otherwise will knock up a few frames with sheets boarded into them.

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
so can i take it that an of the various polystyrene sheets that have been discussed on various threads are ok to put inside the hive IF they are completely sealed with duck/gaffer tape? Otherwise will knock up a few frames with sheets boarded into them.
Yes I've done that without any problems.
I've also made up dummy boards with p/s stuck to the back side. This works except if it gets hot the glue tends to melt and it falls off. Will staple it on next time.

RoofTops 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Polystyrene does not need sealing at the edges but Kingspan does ideally. This is because the interior foam is quite friable. There is also the slight chance of fumes but I suspect this is not a problem, having built a hive of the stuff once and finding the bees preferred the edges to the middle of the hive.

Latest posts