Kim Flottum on Varroa Resistance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the miticides are failing........

Really? I use thymol and oxalic acid, and I've not lost a colony yet. It's not a perfect system, but I would say far from failing.

Finman, unless you have successfully mapped the Bee genome your academic abilities are kind of worthless. I'm not saying I have the answers. I have a starting point and great motivation. The bees tolerance or resistance to varroa may be something genetic or behavioural or something as simple as giving them enough habitat that they can do what they need to do. It may be that we do have to help protect them from varroa etc in the end but does that necessarily mean we have to use acids and other chemicals?? May I also add that comparing humans and shampoo to bees and organic acids is a little ridiculous. Humans as a species are terribly adapted and because of the lack of natural selection, just like the bee we are a failing species. Just look in your local MacDonalds! If it wasn't for our intelligence we would be bear food haha

Really? I use thymol and oxalic acid, and I've not lost a colony yet. It's not a perfect system, but I would say far from failing.

Sorry, poor choice of words. I meant that varroa are building a resistance to some treatments. Trying to emphasise that because we a have a treatment method that works for now, doesn't mean we should sit back and wait till its too late act. There must be some inbetweens unlike Finman and me haha What is everyone's plan with regards to the varroa situation?

Finman, unless you have successfully mapped the Bee genome your academic abilities are kind of worthless. I'm not saying I have the answers. I have a starting point and great motivation. The bees tolerance or resistance to varroa may be something genetic or behavioural or something as simple as giving them enough habitat that they can do what they need to do. It may be that we do have to help protect them from varroa etc in the end but does that necessarily mean we have to use acids and other chemicals?? May I also add that comparing humans and shampoo to bees and organic acids is a little ridiculous. Humans as a species are terribly adapted and because of the lack of natural selection, just like the bee we are a failing species. Just look in your local MacDonalds! If it wasn't for our intelligence we would be bear food haha

OK, change your medication. That is best you can do for beekeeping world.

Last edited:
And what is wrong in chemicals?

Carrot has 0.5% oxalic acid. Lettuce 0.33%

When was the last time you put carrot and lettuce on your bees? :icon_204-2: I get what you're saying with the vegetables and the bathroom comments Finman but the balance of those acids or chemicals is unnatural and out of place. Can you imagine a shampoo advert that says 5 out of 100 people died when they used it or "I had a nice salad, the carrots melted my tongue a bit though!" Oh my days!

Someone has done it before . Out of 1,000 hives , they were left with 50 hives alive.(Cannot remember who. US I think)

Anyone going down that route? You need lots of hives - and money.

The initial crash in colony numbers and beekeeper numbers when varroa first hit our shores was down to beekeepers ( now mostly ex beekeepers) going down that route with little success :rolleyes:

Well the miticides are failing........so we can carry on a losing battle along the chemical treatment route or simultaneously encourage open breeding and chemical free hives. It's the only way here in the uk we can simulate natural breeding and selection. Hopefully the Bees can sort it and we can help spread the genetics. Never stop trying!

What a novel idea ! if only all those silly conventional beekeepers would stop relishing putting unnecessary chemicals in their hives :rolleyes:

What a novel idea ! if only all those silly conventional beekeepers would stop relishing putting unnecessary chemicals in their hives :rolleyes:

I didn't say anybody relished using chemicals. I think every beekeeper would love to be keeping bees as close to how they would naturally live as possible. I did say that we should try other methods simultaneously. Nobody can afford to put all their eggs in one basket.

I didn't say anybody relished using chemicals. I think every beekeeper would love to be keeping bees as close to how they would naturally live as possible. I did say that we should try other methods simultaneously. Nobody can afford to put all their eggs in one basket.

There's not putting your eggs in one basket and then there's deliberately letting some of your apples go rotten in the barrel .

There's not putting your eggs in one basket and then there's deliberately letting some of your apples go rotten in the barrel .

That's really very true! I definitely don't think bees should be left to fend for themselves till we think they have half a fighting chance. Have you tried any alternate methods of varroa treatment? If you have, did you have any positive findings??

That's really very true! I definitely don't think bees should be left to fend for themselves till we think they have half a fighting chance. Have you tried any alternate methods of varroa treatment? If you have, did you have any positive findings??

Varroa seems to become less of a problem some seasons, but it doesn't seem to last.
The general trend seems for it to be less aggressive than it was though.

Varroa seems to become less of a problem some seasons, but it doesn't seem to last.
The general trend seems for it to be less aggressive than it was though.

Does anyone keep an eye on varroa infestation levels and publish them??

. I think every beekeeper would love to be keeping bees as close to how they would naturally live as possible. .

And I think that every beekeeper should use their own brains if God has given such. Beekeeping is not a religion. It is a business: No honey - no money!

Last edited:
And I think that every beekeeper should use their own brains if God has given such. Beekeeping is not a religion. It is a business: No honey - no money!

This may be the case for you Finman but most of the BK's on here are small scale and would not be beekeeping if it were solely for the "honey money".
Although it would be nice to recoup some of money we spend each year!

Russ

This may be the case for you Finman but most of the BK's on here are small scale and would not be beekeeping if it were solely for the "honey money".
Although it would be nice to recoup some of money we spend each year!

Russ

Beekeeping is an expencive hobby. It doess not work so that every month it comes some nature lover and shouts: Listen everybody. Now you nurse your hives like I say. If not, you are not nature loves and I will ban you to Hell!

Beekeeping is an expencive hobby. It doess not work so that every month it comes some nature lover and shouts: Listen everybody. Now you nurse your hives like I say. If not, you are not nature loves and I will ban you to Hell!

:iagree: Darned expensive but I'm no "nature lover", I keep bees rightly or wrongly for the bees, the friends, the pleasure and oh yes Mrs R's soap making activities ;)

Russ

Us small time guys have the ability to look at the things that affect the bees because we have the time and don't incur the costs that people with larger operations would. Many people doing a little can add up to a lot though and would benefit us all. Damn it I sound just like a bloody nature lover!

Latest posts

Back