Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
Afternoon all,

We have a wasps nest in the roof and the wasps are finding routes into the house now, the wife is going nuts and doing my head in :boxing_smiley:

Whats the best way to wipe them out without lifting tiles on the roof, would a petrol soaked towel over the roof work? its going to be hard to get to the nest with foam but I think powder could be pushed upwards.

Cheers

Jez

PS feel free to move this post as I suspect its in the wrong location, sorry

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
There is also a spray available that shoots the contents out about 10 foot away so you dont have to get too near.

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
There is also a spray available that shoots the contents out about 10 foot away so you dont have to get too near.
Yep, thats what the wife got from Tesco, going to give it a try but I have just been watching them and they are entering the roof in 3-4 places - could be a long battle.

Hope my protection keeps me safe from wasp stings....

Geoff 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Afternoon all,

We have a wasps nest in the roof and the wasps are finding routes into the house now, the wife is going nuts and doing my head in :boxing_smiley:

Whats the best way to wipe them out without lifting tiles on the roof, would a petrol soaked towel over the roof work?
Yep, burning the house down using petrol is definitely best way of wiping them out. :)
I would go along with the powder. Somebody asked me about this the other day cause they had a wasp's nest near where they were working. So I told him to get the powder which the wasps take into the nest and it poisons them all. But his mate turned up so they turned a high pressure hose on the nest. I saw the two of them running around. Now the nest is in bits and the wasps are still coming back and not so easily killed

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
You spray the nest itself not the wasps it soaks into the nest and kills them off. I did this with a wasp nest in my mothers attic. Left it for a fortnight then cut it out it was huge.:cheers2:

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
Yep, burning the house down using petrol is definitely best way of wiping them out. :)
I would go along with the powder. Somebody asked me about this the other day cause they had a wasp's nest near where they were working. So I told him to get the powder which the wasps take into the nest and it poisons them all. But his mate turned up so they turned a high pressure hose on the nest. I saw the two of them running around. Now the nest is in bits and the wasps are still coming back and not so easily killed
lol perfect, cheerz

Loubee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more wasps

:nature-smiley-011:I've seen a wasp around the hive - I've only ever seen 1 at a time, but if I've seen 1, I can be sure that there'll be more about. I'm wary of putting down wasp traps because, although my hive has stock fencing around it, there are calves in the field and I don't want them getting interested in or spooked by a wasp trap. Any suggestions??

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
:nature-smiley-011:I've seen a wasp around the hive - I've only ever seen 1 at a time, but if I've seen 1, I can be sure that there'll be more about. I'm wary of putting down wasp traps because, although my hive has stock fencing around it, there are calves in the field and I don't want them getting interested in or spooked by a wasp trap. Any suggestions??
Why would a wasp trap spook cattle/calves?
The wasps come to investigate the hives, smell the attractant in the traps, drown and stay there !!, where is the cause for concern?.
John Wilkinson

Geoff 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
All you need for a wasp trap is 2 litre plastic bottle. Cut a 1 inch hole in it and put a mixture in that will attract them. Last year i used a recipe that was supposed to attract wax moth - it included a banana skin, vinegar, sugar and water. worked so well it got bunged up with wax moths and wasps. Have to look up the recipe again. Does anyone know when the wax moths are flying?
Can't see how something like that should frighten livestock.

Latest posts