Kettering, Northants local advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlipiBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello

As a new beekeeper with 2 Langstroth Hives (in need of bees) I'd appreciate local help and advice especially with my first practical experiences.

Nice secluded plot with apple trees and plenty of brambles to keep my bees happy! Just need to make sure all is best for them and me.

Ta!

Stef

Hello

As a new beekeeper with 2 Langstroth Hives (in need of bees) I'd appreciate local help and advice especially with my first practical experiences.

Nice secluded plot with apple trees and plenty of brambles to keep my bees happy! Just need to make sure all is best for them and me.

Ta!

Stef

You Should join the local association. They have an apairy near to kettering and are there on Sunday mornings. I they do training courses too. This year it was over subscibed by 90 people! You could always pm me your details. This is my second year keeping bees and I live in Rushden

Hello

Ta!

Stef

i have kepted bees slightly further South near bedford/Silsoe and oil seed rape was a pain, big biuld up, solid OSR honey in frames then drought until brambles came live

so you may need to feed after OSR

Last edited:
Thanks Nopants, you are not too far off really. You help would be appreiated if available!

I have joined NBKA and was at the AGM Saturday. All courses were booked up ages ago sadly, the Apiary on Sundays will probably prove very useful to me so I can't wait for them to start again! Although I did hear they have lost all their bees...

MuswellMetro - I think I should be OK where I'll be positioned. Decided to take up an offer of a farm in Desborough as the location will be much safer from vanalism and they have year-round clover fields. Lots of Hawthorn too. Have heard about Rape Seed problems. Fingers crossed all will be OK where I am. Hope you can find away round the problem in your area!

Thanks Nopants, you are not too far off really. You help would be appreiated if available!

I have joined NBKA and was at the AGM Saturday. All courses were booked up ages ago sadly, the Apiary on Sundays will probably prove very useful to me so I can't wait for them to start again! Although I did hear they have lost all their bees...

MuswellMetro - I think I should be OK where I'll be positioned. Decided to take up an offer of a farm in Desborough as the location will be much safer from vanalism and they have year-round clover fields. Lots of Hawthorn too. Have heard about Rape Seed problems. Fingers crossed all will be OK where I am. Hope you can find away round the problem in your area!

Dont forget about trees such as Sweet Chestnut, Lime and any thing else such as field beans,

Your right about the NBKA apiary., They lost 4 hives due to starvation as it was so cold and wouldnt move from their cluster due to ekes being left on and unable to move upwards on to supers. I think they still have some bees left though. I lost two weak colonys my self due to the cold.

You need to get your self some package bees from some where. A swarm would be your best bet as they become available.

Latest posts

Back