Kettering NewBee 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlipiBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello All

Here is my formal plea for a local mentor.

I'll be starting with one hive (Langstroth) either in Kettering or at a farm in Desborough.

No courses were available this year and I would like a few pointers and assistance with my first practical jobs. Beekeeper experience will be invaluable to books and other learning, I'd like to avoid silly mistakes!

Thanks for your support

Stef

Hello All

Here is my formal plea for a local mentor.

I'll be starting with one hive (Langstroth) either in Kettering or at a farm in Desborough.

No courses were available this year and I would like a few pointers and assistance with my first practical jobs. Beekeeper experience will be invaluable to books and other learning, I'd like to avoid silly mistakes!

Thanks for your support

Stef

ok, starting without a BKA course is not good and with one with the bka support is best but if not ( i would not suggest you do this) but i did, then I went on a a course in year two

simple book, something like "bees in your garden2 and leave it in the loo, read it read it bewtween now and may then buy a more expert boook like Hooper

keep it simple

in the first year ,buy a NUc in june, dont expect honey

you have langstroth, ok top bee space but it will cost your £150=£200 for a Nuc and they are rare

No langstroth Nuc , buy a BS standard nuc for £120 and tape the frames to lansgtroth top bars , move them to the side ASAP then out

Feed feed feed your new colony, 2 gallons of 1:1 okey you may get honey the honey has sugar in it so give it away to friends,do not sell

treat with apiguard in sept and oxalic in december

get on a couse in 2011 then we will dicuss swarms

ANYthing seem unusual then ASK ALL YOUR QUESTIONS TO THIS FORUM

OK not recomneded but you will nor be the first to do it that way

So i say dont do it, but you will, and i did it that way

Last edited:
...and just to state the obvious, do you know that you 'get on' with bees? Most associations have open days and it's a great way to get a bit of 'hands on.' Read, read and read again, the more you can understand the ways of honey bees, the easier and more obvious the tasks associated with beekeeping become.

Having said all that, honey bees are remarkably resilient so don't forget to enjoy the experience.

Thanks guys. I have a wealth of books and enjoy watching YouTube films, it's the practical that is lacking in experience!

Having checklists and a diary of activites to do and done will be useful to ensure I cover what needs to. When my clubs apiary opens I hope to spend much time there watching and learning more. This forum is invaluable for help and advice, the club has poor communication it seems and no day-to-day contact like this.

Yes I am still keen to get bees this year and I feel I need to get started somewhere. Slowly to begin with!

Any local contacts always useful to hear about! :)

Hello, I live between kettering and corby and have just started. have a hive and a swarm someone gave me. they seem to be doing fine but I think I need some classes and loads of advice. would welcome any help please.

Latest posts

Back