kent beekeepers, a question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just a simple question, do kent beeks seek rentable out apiaries?
some allotments will accept bees, but not all, so would an allotment sized area be of interests to other beeks

I have an out aparie which is about half an acre - I cut the grass and have got to top the hedge/ trees as rent. I would rent a plot in a different area if I had more bees and it was reasonable rent. Why do you ask ?

I plan on buying a woodland in kent in the future, and think that having people close by that have bees/out apiary to attend to on either a daily/weekly/monthly basis can only be a good thing with keeping an eye on things for me, I wasnt looking at making a business from high rents etc, just something like £25 yearly for an area to be decided. I'll be putting my own bees on the area too (around 7 acres) but only visiting once a fortnight

Where about is this wood?

Visiting every two weeks? Hope there are plenty of holes in the trees for the swarms to go into. :)
Steven

Where about is this wood?

I'll let you know if and when I buy it

Visiting every two weeks? Hope there are plenty of holes in the trees for the swarms to go into. :)
Steven

any bees kept there by me will be on "the darkside" meaning top bar hives and log hives, a lot less hands on than bees kept in commercial hives

Kent's a big county (people wise) ratcatcher, I suspect you will find plenty of takers for space in your woods. The best of luck with your endeavour.

Once the area is narrowed down, you could approach the local association(s).
But there's a big difference (and distance) between Bromley and Sandwich, Sheerness and Dungeness ... / OK so there may not be much in the way of woodland either at Sheerness or Dungeness, but they ain't very close or similar!

I don't think Kent Beeks are necessarily more flush or more tight than beeks elsewhere ... but my impression is that beeks in general are only very slightly more eager to splash the cash than us Aberdonians ...

Once the area is narrowed down, you could approach the local association(s).
But there's a big difference (and distance) between Bromley and Sandwich, Sheerness and Dungeness ... / OK so there may not be much in the way of woodland either at Sheerness or Dungeness, but they ain't very close or similar!

I don't think Kent Beeks are necessarily more flush or more tight than beeks elsewhere ... but my impression is that beeks in general are only very slightly more eager to splash the cash than us Aberdonians ...

:iagree:

Lots of farms in Kent

In Mid Kent there are so many top-fruit farms I have never found it a problem to find somewhere to put hives for free.

The big difference would be access. If your tenant would be able to get a car reasonably close to the hives to save carrying equipment over several fields - as I have done in the past then I'm sure you will find takers.

If the woodland is sweet chestnut then the honey is pretty tasty too!

I did read somewhere that the usual payment to a farmer for the use of his field was about a 1lb of honey per hive, but that may have been a long time ago.
Good luck in your venture

Latest posts

Back