Keeping cool in a suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've got one and a few on here do, they're so last Summer... ;)Just like the seasons I suspect they will come back into fashion every year! The other thing is the ventilated sting proof suits.

Yep we use them, different model though, bigger fans, brilliant!!!!

Naked beekeeping is the answer.

On the strength of this and another thread I bought a neck fan for myself. Even in an Oz Armour suit I still get quite hot and sweaty perspire on sunny days. It definitely seems to help for me. I'm about to try it out in the polytunnel whilst I do a bit of weeding and pinching out on the tomatoes.

As an extra bonus, if I turn it up to maximum speed I can't hear anyone else :D

James

On the strength of this and another thread I bought a neck fan for myself. Even in an Oz Armour suit I still get quite hot and sweaty perspire on sunny days. It definitely seems to help for me. I'm about to try it out in the polytunnel whilst I do a bit of weeding and pinching out on the tomatoes.

James
Yes always an advantage if SWMBO is around!
My fan also has coloured lights....... not found a use for these yet:unsure:

Spare a thought for the needs of the other half of mankind........

Portable Neck Fan, bladeless neck fan ,for Indoor Outdoor Travelling,USB Rechargeable Personal Fan, Rechargeable, Headphone Design,3 Speeds Operated Adjustable,neck fans for women

Spare a thought for the needs of the other half of mankind........

Portable Neck Fan, bladeless neck fan ,for Indoor Outdoor Travelling,USB Rechargeable Personal Fan, Rechargeable, Headphone Design,3 Speeds Operated Adjustable,neck fans for women

HRT is better

James
Just out of interest does any noise and vibration bother the bees?

Just out of interest does any noise and vibration bother the bees?

There's not really any vibration that I've noticed, probably because it's cushioned by one's shoulders and neck. I hadn't noticed the bees were bothered by the noise either. It's quite possible they're not aware of the noise at all given that they don't "hear" in the sense that we do.

James

I have bought on of these for my wife, she loves it.

Wondered if anyone uses them in a suit?

Portable Neck Fan... https://amzn.eu/d/bDg0Dl8
I have finally taken the plunge to leave "non-lurking" status, prompted by your neck fan post. So here I am - btw located in the hills outside Belfast with half a dozen hives and now in my fourth summer of bee madness.
I'm soo grateful to you for mentioning these fans. Mine arrived recently and although I will sound like an advert, it's proving a total game changer. I'm keeping bees on a sloping, obstacle strewn area out of necessity. Even though I've light clothes under my (also excellent) Old Castle suit, by the time I lift heavy boxes off some vertical splits I'm literally steaming. The breeze from the fan is very pleasant and its gentle whirr I find does help to cancel out the sometimes alarming sounds of thousands of bees comin' at cha. It's probably psychological but my last few inspections have seemed zen-like. I'm calmer and slower but perhaps the upward directed blast carries away my breath from the bees? I've hardly needed to use smoke. Hubby has jokingly suggested a second fan with vents pointing DOWN into the suit for the hotter days but I'm happy as it is. For the record, I'm tall and reasonably thin and fit but after dismantling 5 or 6 towers with double broods and supers I was needing a lie down in a darkened room. Great addition to my kit and I hope it proves durable. Ps I'm loving this forum. I took early retirement from biology teaching and took on the bees as a metal and physical challenge along with a very overgrown garden. I always look forward to my morning read here. Better than any magazine. I literally learn something new every day. Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back