Keeping Bees on MOD land...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncav

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
One of our members has been offered an apiary site on MOD land at a cost of £100.00...

Is that policy or a land agent on the make???

Simon Cavill
Fleet Beekeepers

One of our members has been offered an apiary site on MOD land at a cost of £100.00...

Is that policy or a land agent on the make???

Simon Cavill
Fleet Beekeepers

it will be because the Surveyor needs under the government rules obtain " best consideration reasonably obtainable" it a bit srteep compared to say allotment rents, If i was negotiating i would find out what the local Council charge for a similar size allotment and offer that as evidence

Local authorities are governed by similar rules under the local governments acts

I pay six 1lb jars of honey..say @ £6 per lbs that is £36 ..and with honey yield down the this year that might cost me more the £100 :biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Just tell them you will only accept the £100 as cheque or credit transfer in response to your invoice.

Then because it's the MOD you charge them £150 because their projects always overrun.

Dusty

I nave an apairy in a mod (royal navy) research facility and pay £50 a year

Will you be obliged to use a camouflage beesuit :biggrinjester:

At least the hives should be safe there.

If I was a BBKA honch and saw this thread I woould write to the MOD and remind them of the plight of bees and say a couple of unkind things about the charging policy and suggest that the MOD should waive fees for beeks.

If your Bees are living on MOD Land, and paying rent.
Does that give them any rights as far as what logo you put on your Honey Label.
S.A.S. Honey sounds a killer to me :smash:

If your Bees are living on MOD Land, and paying rent.
Does that give them any rights as far as what logo you put on your Honey Label.
S.A.S. Honey sounds a killer to me :smash:

picture.php

HMS Excellent Honey

There were told 2 hives only...
Price sounds excessive. But if there are formal security passes and such to be issued and inspected, they might think it cheap!
Or perhaps they are deliberately pitching the price at an uninteresting level?

Of course they only want the hive so they can syphon off bees to breed a combat ready terrorist stinging monster bee..

(and if it goes wrong blame the bee keeper).

(With apologies to those who are paranoid) ::biggrinjester:

MOD Land

I too approached my establishment to keep a couple of Nationals on site and was told that it was fine and would be encouraged.

After a full inspection of the site with the Estate Manager he dropped the bombshell that the cost would be £50 / year regardless of the quantity of hives and a one time payment of £150 to the MOD Land Estate team to set me up as a legal user.

Needless to say I have declined; one of my colleagues is keeping 3 hives on Horsea Island and has paid the full rate.

the cost would be £50 / year regardless of the quantity of hives and a one time payment of £150 to the MOD Land Estate team to set me up as a legal user.

Sounds like a bargain for someone intending to set up sites for 100s of hives. :D

There is always the possible problem of the enterprising squadie attired in NBC gear helping him/herself to the honey,

My bees fly over the fence if they have a need (the Mod plod have not found a way of issuing them passes) but its the dust they might bring back that make me pause for thought....

Do thornes do dosimeters :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back