Keen to raise drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony that is producing lots of drone comb in inconvenient places. Is it worth putting a super frame in the BB to give them some space?
Also, I read somewhere I think, that if bees are making lots of drones, they are preparing to swarm. Is this true as well? Is it still true if they have already swarmed or rather if mum swarmed in the spring?

I was speaking with a bee farmer yesterday who said he has had a lot of problems with bees building comb below the frames in the brood chamber. He said this had not happened before and could only put it down to the weather.

Placing a super frame in the BB is a good way of getting them to concentrate their drone comb building, they will draw it down from the underside, you can then slice this off as part of your varroa control. ( if you have them).

Bees raise drones. Nothing more to it than that really.

Combs that are excessively 'droney' need working out of the hive, and it is such 'defective' combs that can be replaced with foundation next spring. Now is the time to start working them out of the hive.

Latest posts

Back