Just when you think you’ve seen it all...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About as much use for beekeeping as a dingy or a coffin - both of which it resembles to some extent.

I see Ronald Mc Donald has a new career in beekeeping..... or was it Goofy?

At that angle it looks like it's ready for launching. Go to 9.40 to see what's inside. What a white elephant. I bet it will be fun when the frames are cross-combed and propolised. I expect it costs a fortune too.

It does seem over-complicated. However we should not criticise people for innovating. If bee-hives had not evolved we would still be using straw skeps.

It does seem over-complicated. However we should not criticise people for innovating. If bee-hives had not evolved we would still be using straw skeps.
Skeps are probably more effective and appropriate bee homes than some of the 'new hive ideas' I've seen over the years ....

I've just speed-viewed the video ... 18 minutes of my life is too much to waste on this. Talk about reinventing the wheel ... one wonders at what sort of twisted thinking started off the design - makes little sense to me.

Last edited:
Hi Pargyle. I think you’re right. But don’t the bees get killed when the honey is harvested from a skep?

Hi Pargyle. I think you’re right. But don’t the bees get killed when the honey is harvested from a skep?
depends what system you use - have a look at the 1970's heathland beekeeping videos on yootoob (discussed here only yesterday) only the brood got killed in them.

The old skeppists encouraged early swarming hence the couplet a swarm in May is worth a load of hay .their method of obtaining honey was killing the bees by placing the skep over a sulphur pit.
plenty of swarms to replace the sacrificial colonies!

Many skep beekeepers did not kill the bees to get the honey but drove the bees out of their skep into an empty one held at an angle to it by driving irons by rythmically drumming on the sides of the occupied skep . As a teenager I was asked to give a public demonstration of this in a bee tent at the three counties show in Malvern back in the sixties (having been shown how to do it by a well known skeppist a few days before. Unfortunately I can't recall his name but he was introduced to me by Tom Bradford, a beefarmer who lived near Malvern at Castle Morten. Tom was president of the BBKA in 1964). I suppose it was a novelty to have a young lad seen to be working with bees back then. Someone took photos and I think it was reported in a local rag.

Last edited:
Another look at this thing by a different beek, 3min long (if you can stand the annoying music that is)

Not surprising really .... right sort of space for them, dry, waterproof, warmth from the composting beneath them .. lots to like as bee home. I think most beekeepers will have had or seen bees settle in compost bins - I certainly have. Got some photos of one cut out somewhere ...

Attachments

• compost bin cut out 1.jpg
    compost bin cut out 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • compost bin cut out 2.jpg
    compost bin cut out 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back