Just when I thought I understood the basics...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
1. Put on Apiguard (as the inspector suggested due to high infestation) a fortnight ago, and went to change it today...drop rate...1 mite?? What is going on?? Put on second tray but slightly concerned...:(

2. Got stung again...40+ decided my right foot was a great target...what did I do??:mad:

3. Get stressy when I have to manipulate which doesn't help but have zero practical help and advice...so stress will keep going up...feel v. let down by the people who promised support.:grouphug:

did you check the mite drop during the 14 days, or just at the end? may have been cleared up by ants?

Could be although I have seen zero ants around hive...I only checked at the end...Loads of other stuff, but no mites...

Used board coated with vaseline before, but using sticky board this time so we'll see - doesn't help I don't have a removable floor so am relying on cardboard and drawing pins...

Last edited:
Have you tried using the cloths for now, and asking that nice bee inspector back. You have a new queen don't you? Could it be something to do with her being a cow. :(

Sorry to hear about the stings. You really are a trooper.:grouphug:

if it heavy with mites, i would expect 500 not one

so somethings gone wrong, where or when did you buy the apiguard

did enough air circulate around it, is it all gone or was some left

did you have an eke on

did you have a super on, if so why and what did the bees do in it

did you have lots of bees on the outside of the hive when the apiguard was first put on

Hi MM,

Bought the Apiguard from Pay*** BS about 7 weeks ago, valid until Feb '12 stored cool and dark.

Air could circulate - above BB with a spare 1/2 super (for space) then a crown board. Some left - which I scrapped out and put with todays' tray.

No super - in shed waiting to return at treatment end.

Not any noticable difference in the bees behaviour when it first went on. Narked at a reduced entrance, but otherwise business as usual.

If you have high infestation, I'd expect too many mites to count on the board, sticky or not. Well into the hundreds. Something odd here.

Get stressy when I have to manipulate which doesn't help but have zero practical help and advice...so stress will keep going up...feel v. let down by the people who promised support.

Could the bee inspector of got it wrong? Pm me if you need some practical experiance.

Hubby just checked the sticky board I placed on Sunday, and found 22 mites! At least there is visible proof that it is working!! I couldn't do it as the stings I gained on Sunday has given me an 'elephant man' leg...

Had you been told that you had a Varroa problem? Or did you see lots of Varroa before the treatment?

People seem to assume that they are all suffering infestation.

This may not be so.

The bee inspector may be your best bet if you are unsure as they will be able to give a detailed examination of your girls.

Once again don't get demoralised as he may well be able to help you with the aggression...identifying the most likely causes.

Have you found a bee buddy yet?

Let us know how things go if you contact him,
All the best,
Sam

Have you missed something obvious here? No point in using Apiguard with an open mesh floor. Its action is one of vaporization.

Air could circulate - above BB with a spare 1/2 super (for space) then a crown board.

Surely the whole point is to have little space so all bees are saturated..?

Had you been told that you had a Varroa problem? Or did you see lots of Varroa before the treatment?

People seem to assume that they are all suffering infestation.

This may not be so.

The bee inspector may be your best bet if you are unsure as they will be able to give a detailed examination of your girls.

Once again don't get demoralised as he may well be able to help you with the aggression...identifying the most likely causes.

Have you found a bee buddy yet?

Let us know how things go if you contact him,
All the best,
Sam
Hi Sam,
It was the Inspector who told me I had varroa, and needed to treat - which is why I am doing so.

I haven't found a local bee-buddy, they seem thin on the ground BUT a forum member a distance away has given me some good online dvice and another has had me at his hives to see some hands-on experience...great and just what I needed. I love this place!

Another post mentioned OMF is a pain for Apiguard...which is why I blocked off all except near the catching board.

Air could circulate - above BB with a spare 1/2 super (for space) then a crown board.

Unfortunately as my hive is bottom space I have to put a half super on top or the bees wouldn't be able to get to the stuff...

Latest posts

Back