Just what IS IN your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi Members
I hope this post is not too boring for Poly Hive but there again he does not have to read it.
Reading a brilliant book Botany for Gardeners
and came across ta section on poisonous plants which in a round about way affects our bees.

SOME POISONOUS HOUSE & GARDEN PLANTS

When eaten most plant poisons inhibit digestive processes or strike directly at the functions of the liver, heart, kidney or central nervous system. Less harmful species, such as poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) simply produce substances that, on contact, cause skin irritation.
Some plant substances resemble animal hormones in their molecular structure. When introduced into animal‘s diet, they change reproductive cycles in females or cause growth abnormalities and sterility in males. Other plant products disrupt the larva-to –adult metamorphosis of these, over time; can potentially reduce the number of herbivores in the local environment.

Feeding Strategy Diet Example
Frugivores Fruit Ruffed lemurs

Folivores Leaves Koalas

Nectarivores Nectar Honey Possum

Granivores Seeds Hawaiian Honeycreepers

Palynivores Pollen Bees

Mucivores Plant fluids, i.e. sap Aphids

Xylophages Wood Termites

(In zoology, a palynivore is an herbivorous animal which selectively eats the nutrient-rich pollen produced by flowering plants, including gymnosperms)) From wikipedia.

As we now know that these poisons spread through the whole plant system and into the nectar and pollen of these plants it goes without saying our bees are subject to these poisons, albeit in trace samples only. Nectar into honey, honey into jars, jars being sold to the public.
Some higher plant functions produce biochemical productsthat function in the same manner as antibiotics, there are several substances known to have specific antimicrobial activity. Some of these , called phytoalexins are synthesized only at the site of pathogen invasion. Others are present at all times, throughout plants, ready to be mobilised to injured tissue.

SOME POISONOUS HOUSE & GARDEN PLANTS

COMMON PLANT NAME BOTANICAL NAME TOXIC PARTS

amaryllis hippeastrum puniceum bulbs
anemone anemone entire plant
apple malus syvesteris seeds, leaves
apricot prunus armeniacea seeds, leaves
asparagus asparagus officinalis berries
azalea rhododendron spp. entire plant
buttercup ranunculus spp. entire plant
caldium caladium bicolor entire plant
croton croton spp. seeds, leaves
crown-of -thorns euphorbia milii entire plant
daffodil narcissus pesudonarcissus bulbs
datura datura spp. entire plant
eggplant solanum melongena leaves stems
foxglove digitalis spp. entire plant
gloriosa lily gloriosa spp. entire plant
holly ilex spp. berries
hyacinth hyacinthus orientalis bulbs
hydrangea hydrangea spp . entire plant
iris iris spp. leaves rhizomes
ivy hedera helix berries leaves
lantana lantana spp. entire plant especially berries
larkspur delphinium spp. entire plant
lily-of -the-valley convallaria majalis entire plant
lobelia lobelia cardinalis entire plant
lupine lupinus spp. entire plant
mistletoe phoradendron spp. entire plant especially berries
monkshood aconitum entire plant especially roots morning -glory ipomoea tricolor seeds, leaves
mountain laurel kalmia latifolia entire plant
narcissus narcissus spp. bulbs
oleander nerium oleander entire plant
peach prunus persica leaves seeds
philodendron philodendron spp. entire plant
poinsettia euphorbia pulcherrima leaves stems milky sap
potato solanum tuberosum leaves, stems, green tubers, sprouts
privet ligustrum japoniccum leaves berries
rhododendron rhododendron spp. entire plant
rhubarb rheum rhabarbarum leaf blades
sweet pea lathyrus spp. entire plant especially seeds
tobaco nicotiana spp entire plant
tomato lycopersicon lycopersicum leaves stems
viginia creeper parthenocissus quinquefolia berries
wisteria wisteria spp. pods seeds

my apologies about the groups not being in order but that the format of this forum.

Last edited:
So I guess that may mean 'entire plant' also means pollen?

However, some of these plants are said to be good for bees, well foxglove anyway.

So........?

However, some of these plants are said to be good for bees, well foxglove anyway.

So........?

So what????
Please explain how foxglove id good for the honey bees?

Mo

Honey is still ~80 carbohydrate (as simple sugars), ~20% water and ~2% (if that, when filtered finely) pollen.

The percentage of any 'nasty' pollen from any one crop in nature, and over the season, would amount to naff all of anything much from anywhere particular in that 2%. If these nasties were in the nectar, the bees would need to be immune or there would be no symbiotic relationship.

Only man grown crops/induced weeds etc seem to be any particular risk in honey, unless a beek is harvesting imediately before and after a particular flow from one 'nasty' plant. I am more concerned with man-made systemic 'icides', or spray residues, not particularly the natural ones. That covers the large spectrum of plants grown by man.

Regards, RAB

Hi RAB,
Yes i do take your point and understand the problems with man made 'icides',
but having read it I thought it might make a good discussion point. Of course the amount of poisons in the plants where the bees are concerned would be minimal trace elements, but still there and in the honey again in minuscule elements. In no way have I suggested that this is a life threatening problem, it really was an observation which concerns us all as beekeepers.

Mo

As we now know that these poisons spread through the whole plant system and into the nectar and pollen of these plants it goes without saying our bees are subject to these poisons, albeit in trace samples only. SOME POISONOUS HOUSE & GARDEN PLANTS

COMMON PLANT NAME BOTANICAL NAME TOXIC PARTS

apple malus syvesteris seeds, leaves
apricot prunus armeniacea seeds, leaves
asparagus asparagus officinalis berries
eggplant solanum melongena leaves stems
peach prunus persica leaves seeds
potato solanum tuberosum leaves, stems, green tubers,
sprouts
rhubarb rheum rhabarbarum leaf blades
tomato lycopersicon lycopersicum leaves stems

So you're saying apples, apricots etc are poisonous? I can't let that go!

I think my tagline sums it up.

:cheers2:Hi Skyhook,

So you're saying apples, apricots etc are poisonous? I can't let that go!

NO I AM NOT SAYING THAT.read it correctly and you will find its the seeds and leavesin apple, the seeds and leaves in apricots not the fruit itself. Come on skyhook behave yourself.

As we now know that these poisons spread through the whole plant system and into the nectar and pollen of these plants

NO I AM NOT SAYING THAT.read it correctly and you will find its the seeds and leavesin apple, the seeds and leaves in apricots not the fruit itself. Come on skyhook behave yourself.

So what's that about toxins spreading through the whole plant then? The list looked accurate, but that comment puts a rather different slant on it.

Anyway, I've never behaved myself before and I don't intend to start now. :)

Hi Hivemaker
No we all know that the pollen is toxic to honey bees so therefor it does grow throughout the plant.

By the way after a period of time the actual amount of poisons in the honey deliquesce with no further trace.:banghead:

Mo

So does that make that list of toxic parts of the plants a load of bullshit then,or just incorrect...lol.

Last edited:
Hi Hivemaker

No not bullshit my friend its a way of the plants protecting themselves through evolution. Basic metabolism is the remnant product of early evolution as support for the concept that all living organisms evolved from the same ancestral first cells , several aspects of basic metabolism are common to both plants and animals.
i think some plant species posses repellent odors as a warning to animals that poisons are present. as is colour a warning with the purple -black colour of some toxic fruits such as nightshade (Solanum spp.) give a decisive signal "do not eat".
Hivemaker we are talking Botany here, with a slight bent to wards bees honey etc.
Ain't life fascinating?:hurray:

Mo

daffodil narcissus pesudonarcissus bulbs

So this should read through the plant.....or in the bulb and pollen....not as it does,just the bulb.

Really Mo....what am i going to do with all this daffodil honey.....you rekon it will be safe if aged a bit.:reddevil:

Last edited:
Hi o honey maker of the daffodil plant.

You know I must admit that this cock up of mine in not writting in the pollen from the daffodil was a complete oversight. But its nice to know we have someone who is very knowledgable ready to correct where correction is required. So on behalf of members may I take this oportunity to thank you most sincereley for your dilligence in reading the post.

Now we come to the point of all your daffodil honey, you don't really want me to tell you what you can do with it do you?

Best wishes to you my friend,;)

Mo

Anybody tasted honey with a high ivy content .
My honey came in during an ivy flow, the smell is virtually non existent but it has a sharp taste but very sweet , (hit's the throat like a cough bottle ?)
Balsam was at a premium at the same time .
The honey is particularly viscous with no sign of granulation.

John Wilkinson (maybe I should store it for a couple of years ?

hi dont want to throw the cat amoung the pigeons. But I willl. So who is this list actually poisionus to? i know that my rabbits love the apple leaves and seeds. the bees like fox glove and depending on who you talk to the rhodendron aswell. (none close to me) cows wont eat the daffodils beside me but sheep will if pushed. surly the poisions are largly animal specific??
tim

Most of the plant species on the poison list have a level of toxicity if injested in a concentrated form.

Strangely most are also used in homeopathy

I once extracted LSD from ipoema seeds!... as a lab experiment !

I do not believe that bees could concentrate enough toxin to cause harm.
Remember Cornish potatoes probably contain Arsenic!!!!

Many of the spices used to make curry powder have a toxicicty level.
Is that why people living in the UK's Balty Capital, Birningham are all a bit loopie????

Last edited:
Strangely most are also used in homeopathy

Got to pick you up on that one, pick any homeopathic remedy off the shelf at the chem..ahem, witch emporium, and find ANYTHING other than water (with a memory of course) and I will buy you a pint!

Latest posts

Back