Just taken an antihistamine.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whenever I get stung I always try to avoid taking Antihitamines as I am of the thinking that long term its not good.

BUT having sneezed about 50 times in the last hour I have had to give in.

The cause CEDAR !!

I always wear a face mask when using machine tools cutting timber but still got caught out today,I was outside cutting and as I finished it started to rain.

Maybe the rain caused some of the wood to give off oils ?

I often get a rash for a few hours after machining Cedar but nothing like this,I have never suffered from Hayfever but now know what it must feel like.

I am sat here with a blocked nose and tears running down my cheeks while typing.

Get well soon. I don't know anyone who is allergic to cedar.

I think Dave Cushman says he is on his website..

What's wrong with ply?

Ply is for Plebs.
Cedar is for C....

:)

That would be C for Craftspeople of course.

Not clumsy idiots?

;)

PH

Heads up Admin

toilet_roll.jpg

:D

Cedar sensitivity is common with repeat exposure. e.g. "In 154 individuals who work with Western Red Cedar in Japanese wooden frame factories a high incidence (24.7%) of bronchial asthma was observed. A positive intradermal test was found in 89% of the asthmatics and in 56% of all. A highly positive inhalation test was obtained only in the asthmatic group. It is suggested that other symptoms in addition to bronchial asthma might be caused by Western Red Cedar because of the frequency of positive skin reactions to the Western Red Cedar antigen."

I once made a project out of a timber called Agba and that had an allergic reaction my eyes swelled and itched like crazy
I had to finish the the job and required tablets from the doctor to get through the job. Thankfully no other reactions and Agba is often refereed to Nigerian cedar.
Bless and all that Cedar to still to cut lol its wort it in the end

Cedar sensitivity is common with repeat exposure. e.g. "In 154 individuals who work with Western Red Cedar in Japanese wooden frame factories a high incidence (24.7%) of bronchial asthma was observed. A positive intradermal test was found in 89% of the asthmatics and in 56% of all. A highly positive inhalation test was obtained only in the asthmatic group. It is suggested that other symptoms in addition to bronchial asthma might be caused by Western Red Cedar because of the frequency of positive skin reactions to the Western Red Cedar antigen."

did you know that in a survey it was found that 67% of all statistics were wrong:rofl:.

Whenever I get stung I always try to avoid taking Antihitamines as I am of the thinking that long term its not good.

BUT having sneezed about 50 times in the last hour I have had to give in.

The cause CEDAR !!

I always wear a face mask when using machine tools cutting timber but still got caught out today,I was outside cutting and as I finished it started to rain.

Maybe the rain caused some of the wood to give off oils ?

I often get a rash for a few hours after machining Cedar but nothing like this,I have never suffered from Hayfever but now know what it must feel like.

I am sat here with a blocked nose and tears running down my cheeks while typing.

ALWAYS WEAR A MASK WHEN MACHINING TIMBER !!!!

Before I retired (plant engineer) I had to augment the filtering on all the extraction equipment in the wood shop/saw mill .
H&S classified the dust off both hard and soft wood as carcinogenic !
Previously only hard woods were classified as such .
John Wilkinson

I completely agree with John.

When I see the clouds of dust given off by stone cutters for instance and not a dust mask or safety glasses in use I shudder.

I always wore safety glasses and dust mask when routing and sawing timber.

Safety first.

PH

Some guys working for a cable company were doing just that last week . Spewing trillions of particles into the air .
Shy me tackled them. Yes the equipment had a water reservoir. yes it was empty . ( soon filled it ) .
Living in an ex mining area I know all about silicosis and pneumoniocosis .
We were subjected to this killer dust for an hour of so . they, silly idle buggers were doing this on a daily basis .
They should be shown vids of ex miners fighting for breath !!.

John Wilkinson

the dust off both hard and soft wood as carcinogenic !

I would say that long term contact with any dust is not healthy...

Cedar of Lebanon is considered to deter the moths that eat your clothes as with HM dont think Western Read cedar deters the Wax Moth

Sorry Pete you were below my radar
(I shall aft' open mi een )

John Wilkinson

The useful properties of cedar (weather, mould and insect-proof, more or less) certainly result in an irritant wood. Being a home-made hive cheapskate I hadn't treated myself to a brand new all-cedar hive until recently... upon which I promptly got dermatitis just from assembling a couple of new cedar brood boxes. At first I sniffed the nice, clean (almost antiseptic) smell and admired the oily see-through paper label as an indicator of all the useful essential oils in the wood. Then I got itchier and itchier, until I had to spend the rest of the day sitting fuming with my hands encased in calamine lotion....

Latest posts

Back