Just moved to Cumbria-how to keep the damp away?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,am now resident in Cumbria (south) and would value any advice on the difficulties of keeping the damp at bay. Bess didn't appreciate the extreme wet just after moving them in early September but now seem a bit happier.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Just moved to Cumbria-how to keep the damp away?

Move to suffolk? ;)

Other than that, all you can do is make sure there is plenty of air movement under and around the hives. I have mine on stands, on pallets, on weed-proof membrane, so they are well away from the grass.

Last edited:
Hi Welcome to Cumbria!

I can't claim to be experienced so I doubt I will be any help. What damp are you worried about? I can't say that I have come across any damp inside the hive.

The weather is obviously another matter but I wouldn't say the last couple of months had been anything unusual (as a native Cumbria you get used to it).

Perhaps somebody with more experience could give you more advice if they knew where the damp was and the type of hive.

You get used to it and so will the bees.
I put mine in poly and the hives on a stand well clear of the ground.
My one remaining wooden hive has plenty of top insulation and an open floor.
Get a decent raincoat and waterproof over trousers ;)
Oh ....and welcome from me too

My cedar hives are fine here. providing they are well maintained and ventilated there shouldn't be any problems.
More to the point is the number of wet days which mean less flying days.
Where did you move from?

thanks to all and in response-moved from Cheshire/Shropshire border. Queen bee named Flavia by my daughter--previous one was Beth but she absconded!
Hive situated on a wall so well off the ground.

Hi,am now resident in Cumbria (south) and would value any advice on the difficulties of keeping the damp at bay. Bess didn't appreciate the extreme wet just after moving them in early September but now seem a bit happier.

Move back south!!! It's always raining up there so humidity is always high.

LAKE DISTRICT the clue is in the name. Move to Manchester its sub-tropical here and hardly ever rains. Cover beehives with a poly-tunnel or perhaps bee-keeping on a canoe. Sorry off to A & E suffering from sunstroke!

:cheers2:

Move to Manchester its sub-tropical here and hardly ever rains.

typical Mancunian wit although Andy is correct to say it is sub-tropical ... about 20 or 30 deg c below "tropical".

As a born & bred Mancunian I can tell you the joke about it always raining in Manchester is true. Get yerself down south - I am just about as south as you can get without being in the English Channel and it is positively balmy here in Dorset. Or maybe just barmy....

Latest posts

Back