Just in case anyone is ever tempted to make the same schoolboy error I did...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
I should really save this one until September but here goes. Just in case anyone is ever tempted to leave half-comb-filled ekes in their hives over winter, don't. Due to Covid-related reasons, I've only just been able to look at each of my three hives, all of which had gone boom in the voids. The operation to make the hives inspectable once again is messy, potentially disastrous (if the queen is in the wrong place at the wrong time), and to be 100% avoided.

Thankfully all three colonies were very calm, allowing me to do said operation as carefully and cleanly as possible. Not fun though for beekeeper or bees!

Ben

I should really save this one until September but here goes. Just in case anyone is ever tempted to leave half-comb-filled ekes in their hives over winter, don't. Due to Covid-related reasons, I've only just been able to look at each of my three hives, all of which had gone boom in the voids. The operation to make the hives inspectable once again is messy, potentially disastrous (if the queen is in the wrong place at the wrong time), and to be 100% avoided.

Thankfully all three colonies were very calm, allowing me to do said operation as carefully and cleanly as possible. Not fun though for beekeeper or bees!

Ben
A photo would show us the perils even better!🤣

Same here, it's the first time it has happened, I usually never have this problem but we are having an early flow here it was all fresh wax with nectar and few grubs.

One of mine had a tiny bit of brood in which made it particularly unpleasant.

The original error was a classic case of post extraction, feeding, treatment etc. cba to open up hives in October, done with the beekeeping season, next year’s problem! Kinda knew I’d have a mess to sort before I got to them, but no damage done and it’s been fed back.

Ben

The original error was a classic case of post extraction, feeding, treatment etc. cba to open up hives in October, done with the beekeeping season, next year’s problem!
Still not sure what you did. Do you mean you left on an eke for feeding and they've now expanded the brood nest into it with wild comb?

Last autumn the bees half-filled their apiguard ekes with comb. I thought I would leave sorting it until the spring, but shouldn’t have.

Short term ekes shouldn't cause a big issue, as you have found out the longer you leave it the harder the wax may become to remove.

I cover Apiguard with plastic sheeting in the CB. Stops all brace comb.

Last autumn the bees half-filled their apiguard ekes with comb.
ApilifeVar is equally effective and needs no eke. It's a biscuit impregnated with thymol, eucalyptus oil, menthol and camphor. Break and put pieces on top bars; it has organic accreditation.

Yeah I was going to use it last season but had a few tins of apiguard which wanted using. This year will defo switch though as I never get myself organised enough to treat and feed separately, and cannot be doing with comb-filled ekes again!

This year will defo switch though as I never get myself organised enough to treat and feed separately, and cannot be doing with comb-filled ekes again!
You'll have fun instead trying to scrape the propolised biscuits off the top bars/QE.
Been there, done that, never going there again! 😉

For future reference, or to anyone else who finds themselves in the same position, once you have made the mistake, what we did was to leave it until the honey is capped.
It's far less messy.
And this is one instance where twisting the eke to remove it is not a good idea! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190913_164810.jpg
    IMG_20190913_164810.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back