just found a key water source used by my garden bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
up clearing gutters on a gantry and the roof tiles were a carpet of bees

they seemed to be taking water from the moss although a good number were just on the sandy tiles too

assuming theyre using the moss as an easy water source (despite garden being pretty boggy)

up clearing gutters on a gantry and the roof tiles were a carpet of bees

they seemed to be taking water from the moss although a good number were just on the sandy tiles too

assuming theyre using the moss as an easy water source (despite garden being pretty boggy)
Is it sunny today with you?
The water maybe warmer up on the roof?

yes.....v warm up there....so warmer water is preferable?

that would make sense
Yes often find bees collecting were the sun has warmed up that could be anywhere from walls, compost bags the top of pots even the south side of the garden fence.

yes.....v warm up there....so warmer water is preferable?

that would make sense
My window cleaner let the job once saying he would come back when I'd got rid of the wasps' nest behind the gutter. I said there were no wasps out in winter. He was okay with the idea of the bees having a drink.

I’ve seen my bees quite a few times taking water from sphagnum moss growing around the banks of drains.

Seen another bee on a fungus which was growing on a tree trunk. Didn’t know if it was taking in water from it, or taking in some sort of sustenance from the fungus itself.

Is there anything in fungus which is beneficial to bees?

Latest posts

Back