Just a few eggs…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’ve a nuc that is in the process of (hopefully) re-queening itself. I had a little look inside today and spotted about five eggs just dotted randomly around. I couldn’t see any more.

Is that a sign that the queen is coming into lay or is it more likely that Ive got laying workers or a few duff eggs left over from the original queen that never turned into larvae?

Your queen has either just started laying and is a little random, it happens but eggs are normally in a patch. Or you have laying workers look for multiple or single eggs in the cells.

Your queen has either just started laying and is a little random, it happens but eggs are normally in a patch. Or you have laying workers look for multiple or single eggs in the cells.
They were all just single eggs. I’m planning to wait a week then take another look

I’ve a nuc that is in the process of (hopefully) re-queening itself. I had a little look inside today and spotted about five eggs just dotted randomly around. I couldn’t see any more.

Is that a sign that the queen is coming into lay or is it more likely that Ive got laying workers or a few duff eggs left over from the original queen that never turned into larvae?
In my experience, the queen is much fatter in the abdomen when she starts to lay, so see if you can spot her next time.

Have you seen the queen? If not I’d put a test frame in sharpish. When you’re getting a queen mated, it’s worth making a note in your records when you expect her to get mated by, then a note to add a marked test frame if she’s not laying by this approx date. The pheromone from brood in the test frame keeps laying workers at bay and confirms that either alls well or you need to unite with another colony.

Have you seen the queen? If not I’d put a test frame in sharpish. When you’re getting a queen mated, it’s worth making a note in your records when you expect her to get mated by, then a note to add a marked test frame if she’s not laying by this approx date. The pheromone from brood in the test frame keeps laying workers at bay and confirms that either alls well or you need to unite with another colony.
No I didn’t see her. I suppose I could put a test frame in but I haven’t really got any hives with surplus. I have three other colonies and each are covering about 3/4 of a brood box

Just cut a small square out off the comb and add if you wish.

I’ll give her another week and then do just that. To be fair she probably only emerged about 17 days ago so I’m maybe being impatient…

I’ll give her another week and then do just that. To be fair she probably only emerged about 17 days ago so I’m maybe being impatient…
I’ve had laying workers develop in a Nuc in a fortnight. Why wait? As other have said you can return the test frame once it’s done it’s job

I’ve had laying workers develop in a Nuc in a fortnight. Why wait? As other have said you can return the test frame once it’s done it’s job
To be honest I thought I was being a bit cheeky going in to check already…isn’t the normal advice to leave well alone for at least three weeks?

I can put a test frame in over the next couple of days if you think it’s urgent. I’ve never done it before…is it just any frame that has some eggs on? How long do I leave it in for?

A frame with eggs and young brood. No bees. Check three days. Return to donor, again no bees removing queen cells if there are any.

I had a little look in yesterday and there were large patches of eggs and some young larvae so all looks well. Is it fairly safe to assume they’ve been laid by a queen or are laying workers still a possibility until I see capped worker brood? The eggs were over large areas with every cell in the patch having been laid in

As I was once told
'wait until they are capped before clapping one's ar*e' 😁
I once had a colony which was requeening, eventually she laid a perfect frame of brood, I waited until it was capped and rejoiced at how good it looked, then I tilted the frame slightly and realised she had laid a full frame of drone brood! :oops::banghead:

As I was once told
'wait until they are capped before clapping one's ar*e' 😁
I once had a colony which was requeening, eventually she laid a perfect frame of brood, I waited until it was capped and rejoiced at how good it looked, then I tilted the frame slightly and realised she had laid a full frame of drone brood! :oops::banghead:
Yes rubbish isn't but you can often spot the bees are extending the cells well before they are capped!

Latest posts

Back