Jupiter-Venus-Uranus-Mercury all in a row

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
The heavens are putting on an interesting display at the moment. Jupiter, Venus, Uranus and Mercury have all lined up in a row. Two of these are easy to spot the others increasingly difficult.

If you look into the west at the moment you can see Venus shining brightly. It is currently just to the left of the Moon but of course the Moon will move away quickly so look for the planet not the moon if you are reading this later..

Top left of Venus is another bright planet, Jupiter, which through binoculars you should see some of its moons in the plane 11 to 5 o clock. A very few people can actually see these with the naked eye but the rest of us need some optical assistance.

Now here is the interesting bit. If you draw a line from Jupiter to Venus and carry it on just a little bit futher than Jupiter is from Venus you should in theory be able to see Uranus at that point. Through 10*50 binoculars it is supposed to look slightly blue.

I say supposed because you need a dark sky and at the moment the sun is still faintly shining over the horizon.

If you are able to look over the sea to the West then carrying on the line Jupiter-Venus-Uranus you should find Mercury just above the horizon. It is very low down so I doubt it is visible over land.

If anyone does see either of these rarely glimpsed planets please let us know.

Last edited:
Thanks Rooftops, that was interesting.
Venus and Jupiter were easily found but couldn't see Uranus, (no binoculars.)
Cazza

Venus is very clear tonight here as is the moon but the binos and tele are in the MH locked up in the compound.

We have though booked on a Northern Lights cruise in November.. does that count? LOL

PH

Was showing the wife this earlier, not long after watching the ISS (International Space Station) pass overhead at 17000mph

Can see Venus and Jupiter, but after that there's so many I can't tell :(

Mercury was only above the horizon for a very short period after sundown. By the time I posted the above it had below - according to my magic phone app.

It should be possible to see Uranus but you need a dark sky and no high hills in the way as it is also fairly close to the horizon.

There is a bit about this alignment here although this does not mention Uranus which was between Venus and Mercury. Scroll down to February 25th. Click on the image and it will enlarge. http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/

Last edited:
Star Chart

Hi,
I bought an iphone this week, and the first app that I downloaded for £1.99 is called Star Chart. You point your phone at the sky, and it labels all the stars, planets, and even the constellations.....so yes, I too was fascinated by the line up last night, and the constellations to the left ( south west) The phone showed me a unicorn shape of stars......can't remember what it was called, and a hare. I was no better off with the naked eye looking those constellations, but I'm fascinated by it. I love it, and I suspect I shall be out in the garden star gazing quite a lot this summer.

Got my 60x birding 'scope out and the entire family looked at the moons of Jupiter ... at least four or five were visible but there are supposed to be at least 66!

Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back