June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a blossom spotter app map of the Uk?

We have fields and fields of yellow buttercups everywhere plus hawthorn just starting.. By the time it finishes, it will be winter again...

Not needed

There are a few people here with the knowledge. Just post a pic and somebody will know. You can even get gardening advice...it's great!

Part of my thoughts on an app woud be to map the progress of plants Flowering, as much watching spring arrive and move up the country.

I do love seeing the photos of bees covered in pollen. I've borrowed a magnifier thing that gets me in close to see the bees in detail as they're going into the hives.

No June Gap here just acres of hawthorn and holly and garden flowers getting a good soaking from the rain forecast into July
Edited......an hour later we've just had a hail storm!!!!!!!

Last edited:
No June Gap here just acres of hawthorn and holly and garden flowers getting a good soaking from the rain forecast into July
Edited......an hour later we've just had a hail storm!!!!!!!

Keep it over there, we're basking in glorious sunshine atm:sunning:

It's a bit windy though:Wales_flag:

No June Gap here just acres of hawthorn and holly

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I was pondering forage.
Two weeks earlier, this year, and the Hawthorn is just about done.
I spotted a few brambles in flower today and the rest are not far behind.

Our hawthorne is still going well and the lime is beginning to show the beginning of buds. Still way off but ...... Light at the end of the tunnel. The elder hasn't flowered yet either.
E

Hawthorn and field buttercups everywhere and still in flower and bramble (blackberry) just starting to gain flower buds.
I'm not sure if this is what they are finding but a real flow on down here in far SW with most hives on at least one super and some on four, never had that before from hives no where near OSR!!
S

Things seem to have slowed up here in south London (couple of wet days last week may have made a difference though)

First bramble flowers open here today. Hives stank of hawthorn up until a week ago. Now onto something milder. Seen them on holly and white clover.

bucket loads of beautiful grey pollen coming in from the field bean, small numbers of bees working the holes made by bumblies on the field bean for nectar too. Masses of a pale yellow pollen still flowing as well but not sure what this is.

It's my first summer and one of my hives already has 5 nearly full langstroth mediums, can't wait for the acres of blackberries on the river banks to fully bloom!

Clover just starting, also some bramble. Inadvertently left some brood frames full of sealed stores accessible on Friday and they were dry today, so despite the warmth there must be a dearth.

We have fields and fields of yellow buttercups everywhere plus hawthorn just starting.. By the time it finishes, it will be winter again...

buttercups are not any good for honeybees or liverstock,the necatar is so thin bees don't collect it and they avoid the pollen, it is also poisonous to livestock,so I expect it i must be that the toxin protanemonin is in the pollen that makes bees avoid it, in someareas you get May sickness casued by them collecting the buttercup pollen in a dearth

Last edited:
Hawthorn all but finished in this part of Derbys but the garden is full of bees (honey and bumble), namely working Cranesbill (mourning widow) and Geranium.

Angelica, Purple Loosestrife, Hemp Agrimony, Lemon Balm, Borage and various thistles still to come along with several mature Lime trees further afield.

The splits have made a honey harvest unlikely (no supers drawn) but this year is all about learning and enjoying the bees (and the wallet being emptied!)

Latest posts

Back