June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandF

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the prolonged freezing weather in the UK earlier this year, has there been a delayed spring, and will this have implications on the 'June gap' this year? Ie we might not have one?

Discuss... by region too if applicable..

:)

A lot of blossom here is catching up but still some two weeks late.
I rather suspect that our June Gap here might be shortened but only a little.
The hawthorn is yet to come but I noticed yesterday that one sycamore has florets nearly open. This is a pity as we have days and days of rain and wind forecast.

I would think that if the weather is warm at last....in some places....flowering would catch up

Didn't really have a June gap last year so I dout we will have one this year especially as the winter rape is so behind, some fields are still not showing signs of flowering.
AB

This was my thought too, little or no june gap (esp for us urban beeks) again this year.

I did think the bit of rain forecast for the South East would be good over the next couple of weeks, to get some moisture into the soil for nectar - especially as the temps are still ok for foraging.

Really hoping for a good lime tree flow this year...

"Late winter gap" as it's now called in the Midlands ... temperature again just into double figures.

I get long range weather forecasts, and the good news is for those in the west/northwest that you are due for an above average jun/jul/aug for temperatures and sunshine, and well below average for rainfall.

Southwest is due for a very wet august, otherwise the same.

The rest of us have an average summer in terms of temps and sunshine, and a 50% lower rainfall than average. Except those on the east coast, where it will be cooler and wetter.

So all in all, quite a good outlook for us all.

Acacia is the main Spring flow over here. Normally it flowers for the first two weeks of May when the weather can be very good or very bad.

This year the leaves have barely opened and there is no sign of flowering so the "June gap" is unlikely to be 4 weeks, more like 2 if any.

The forecast here for the next week in Oldham is rain.
:(

Is this a May gap?

Not a May gap because there is plenty to forage just not the ideal conditions for foraging.
AB

what rate of super are going on

so tell me how many up and down the country are and have super on and bees working on them im in south Manchester (Chorlton) bees are not in the super at all even though the comb is drawn :calmdown::hairpull::(

supers on but many filling apart from from some buckfast in one colony which has filled 2 so far and just onto the 3rd

Out of approx 20 hives in our Association apiary, there are supers on 2-3. One hive (poly) has 11 frames of brood.

Everything here is 5 weeks late compered to the usual, totally given up with long term weather forecasts as often lead to incorrect data and disappointment in holiday choice

Thought I'd resurrect this post.

Although we thought there wouldnt be any June gap this year, due to the late starting spring, I was concerned about the recent, generally rubbish, early June weather here in the South and worried about the honey/nectar situation in my 2 hives and 2 nucs.

Just had a quick check, and they don't seem to have stopped building up stores, and we have some really nice weather coming after next week.

For those with decent sized colonies I think this could be a good year for honey - certainly compared with the last couple of years!

Thought I'd resurrect this post.

Although we thought there wouldnt be any June gap this year, due to the late starting spring, I was concerned about the recent, generally rubbish, early June weather here in the South and worried about the honey/nectar situation in my 2 hives and 2 nucs.

Just had a quick check, and they don't seem to have stopped building up stores, and we have some really nice weather coming after next week.

For those with decent sized colonies I think this could be a good year for honey - certainly compared with the last couple of years!

OSR still in flower here though at the moment in Hereford so no sign of summer honey until that sorts itself out!

Lime trees start in late June/July normally.

Latest posts

Back