June Gap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OSR just gone over.
Hawthorn at full chat
Lime trees coming soon
Field beans about to start up.

Looking good.

some red clover, but no sign of white clover yet, and the bramble is yet to show.

our crab apple trees are in bud. The blackthorn and buttercups are out in force.
when the bees hit the buttercups, they tend to turn the wax bright yellow. they are not doing it this year. I am not aware of any rape within 3 miles.

Whatever they are getting, most of my full hives brought between 1/3 and 2/3 of a super in last week.

the farm is elevated by about 150m so tends to trail a little compared to sea level.

My big patch of Chives is now in full bloom - there are sod all bees working it.

The ground's bone dry so I assume no nectar

hawthorn, some going over, some just starting, chives, still dandelion, HOLLY, blackberry started a fortnight ago, clematis, foxglove, thyme, rosemary, erigon just starting and more. OSR almost finished.

Wish I could tell - apple and cherry blossoms are gone, heather and dandelions have finally finished, it's all buttercups and daisies at the moment & too early for clover. Thanks for the timely reminder to figure out what the next few weeks' forage is looking like!
clover flowering here

That's late - mine have set ages ago - I'll probably be picking them in 3 or 4 weeks time

It's quite strange here - some things are late, and some on time. just a couple of weeks ago, in mid may, one of my friends said her daffs were only beginning to blossom!

and do the bees like rhodies and azaleas? all the rhododendron around here have masses of bright blooms

elderflower in the forests and hydrangea in gardens

Last edited:
We've loads of Rhododendron round us, the bees never go near it.

Think i read some where the honey from it can be quite toxic.

I live near a canal with lots of water Iris starting to flower. I seem to remember the bees really going at these last year.

My big patch of Chives is now in full bloom - there are sod all bees working it.

The ground's bone dry so I assume no nectar

Ditto and my lavender seems to be attracting more bumble bees than honey bees :rolleyes:

That's late - mine have set ages ago - I'll probably be picking them in 3 or 4 weeks time

confession with ze eggs on faces :redface:

I'd said gooseberries were in bud late, well... :redface: they weren't buds and you were right

in a week or two wild privet and then bramble and a bit of rosebay willow herb - usually a gap mid-July-end August then the ivy..., . There are masses of seapinks (thrift) out at the moment but I only see bumble bees on them - the scent is lovely - perhaps too far to venture on the cliffs for the bees.

I was surprised to see Gleditsia blossom covered in honeybees, since it appears quite insignificant. Note to self: Must plant more...

Latest posts

Back