Jumbo Rapid Feeders & Crownboards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

match

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6-8
I've just been looking at the Jumbo Rapid Feeders advertised on Thorne's website:

Jumbo Rapid Feeder

healthl23.jpg

In the description they say:

"This feeder will probably require a new feed hole in your crownboard."

Does anyone out there have one of these, and can tell me what modifications the crownboard needs (assuming a 'standard' national with the 2 oval slots for porter bee escapes)?

My crown boards have a second opening at one end that accommodates this. If you havent- just cut a small hole one end. Later can cover with a tile to seal again.

The feeder seems very good.

You must make the bees' walking surfaces rough that bees do not slip into syrup. 6 litre is a good amount.

Last edited:
I use these and I like them.
No spilling of syrup which I tend to do with the contact feeders. They are easy to top up too (with plastic milk bottle full of syrup).

You need approx. 2" min (I made mine 3") hole biased towards one end (I always put this end towards the front of the hive). I made a new crown board (easy) and bought a hole saw for a fiver on offer at B & q.

I found it helps if you draw around the outline of the feeder on the crownboard then when you take it off for inspection it's easy to re-locate when it has syrup in it.

Don't forget that the bottom of the feed part protrudes slightly below the base of the feeder so you have to have this min sized hole.

I'm not sure what the inside of the feed cone is made of - if its smooth plastic then I'll paint it with some PVA glue with sand mixed into it - this should provide enough grip for the bees to not fall in.

I'll order a couple, and then see what I can make as a crownboard out of some old bits of wood.

Thanks for the advice! :cheers2:

Inside of feed cone has serrations to help them grip.

I have one and used it last year without modification. No bees drowned!

has anyone splashed out on the maisemore feeder yet ? I always thought it was daft no one offers an ashforth/miller made out of strong virtually everlasting plastic(this discounts thornes rather flimsy drop in feeders which I've bought a few of and already broken them!)

I've just received some of the Thorne Jumbo Feeders - they look good - sturdy plastic - not flimsy like the drop-in ones.

To answer my original question the feed hole for the bees is 4cm in diameter, with its centre-point 8cm from one of the short edges.

I'll be putting them on the hives soon, once I find my drill :)

Well, I, for one would not be using a large feeder at this time of the year, unless the bees were starving! I think one needs a much more subtle approach for spring boosting. One needs the syrup to be used as feed, not just transferred to comb.

Regards, RAB

Well, I, for one would not be using a large feeder at this time of the year, unless the bees were starving! I think one needs a much more subtle approach for spring boosting. One needs the syrup to be used as feed, not just transferred to comb.

Regards, RAB

I read somewhere that in spring one should use a contact feeder rather than a rapid feeder as the bees are reluctant to climb into a rapid feeder when the temperature is low.

I'm with poly Hive. Frame feeders are perfectly adequate. I was not caring a jot for type; just the size was mentioned in my post?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back