JRT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRT

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Mentor required. Potters Bar Herts. I'm new to beekeeping with one hive. Started May 2020 and the bees are now hibernating.

Mentor required. Potters Bar Herts. I'm new to beekeeping with one hive. Started May 2020 and the bees are now hibernating.
Hi and welcome jrt good luck in finding a mentor... Just to highlight honey bees don't hibernate its a bit of a missconstrued statement when folk ask me, they are active all winter and they use there wing muscles to keep themselves warm.

Not trying to be funny but if you said that to me as a mentoree I would want to teach you truly and honestly good luck finding a mentor. :)

Have you tried your local BKA? They may not be running classes or apiary visits but there may well be members willing to help you in a more distant fashion?
Failing that help is always available here particularly in the beginners’ section.
My only advice in posting there is if you don’t know what to do ask first rather than do something then ask how to fix it.
This is a very active forum and there is usually somebody around to help out pretty quickly.
Good luck with your bees

Mentor required.
You sure?

Making mistakes and learning on the job is a rapid route to skill, confidence and great joy (or tears, it must be said).

Focus instead on information from decent sources: 1 Haynes Bee Manual 2 Dave Cushman A-Z 3 The Apiarist blog 4 BeeBase 5 The Norfolk Honey Company on Youtube.

If you haven't done so, open an account and register your apiary on BeeBase. Use gridreferencefinder.com to identify your apiary OS location. Resist the urge to disappear down a Youtube rabbit-hole to watch a bloke in Austin, Texas showing how to deal with a colony in Austin, Texas.

A mentor may sound like a good idea but might only confuse, mis-inform and be too directive and it's certainly not a necessary tool in the box. On the other hand, a group WhatsApp between local beekeepers of whatever ability is very useful.

Last edited:
A mentor is handy but don't always take their word as gospel, if going down that route by all means take on what they say but don't be blinkered into how they do things. Use the local BKA whtasup or some might use signal chat for discussion, also some good info on here as well.

Latest posts

Back