Joseph Bentley Spade

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
My stainless steel spade broke the other day on the allotment. Just normal digging on an above freezing day. The metal of the blade itself actually cracked. Never seen this before.

Only a few years old but no receipt and I can't even remember where I got it from so not expecting a replacement. However, I did go on to Joseph Bentley's website so I could send them a picture and ask them for their thoughts. On clicking the 'contact us' link I'm told to contact my local supplier :hairpull:! Out of interest I had a look at their product registration page, apparently: 'Parts which are subject to normal wear and tear during usage of the tool (such as blades and pivot joints) are not covered by the guarantee' Thanks for that.....

Found an almost identical looking spade in Wilkos the other day for £6, interested to see if it lasts any longer.

I suppose beeks have no problem with " the philosopher's axe". Maddydog replaces the blade, then the handle breaks and Maddydog replaces that. It's obviously the same spade.

Eating too much honey watch those biceps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like my 25 year warranty on my pressure cooker. Handle broke so I tried to claim under the warranty. Apparently the only thing that is covered is the metal pan and no other parts......what the hell do I have to do to break that? I now use it with a broken handle!
E

Update:

I sent photos of the spade to the email address Wessexmario suggested and have received an offer of a free replacement. However, I have to pay £8.95 p&p.

Update:

I sent photos of the spade to the email address Wessexmario suggested and have received an offer of a free replacement. However, I have to pay £8.95 p&p.

So an object lesson in how to do the right thing (free replacement) and then lose all the goodwill by penny pinching (the P&P)

Latest posts

Back