Jolanta™ Early Season Mated Queens - IN STOCK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Mountain Honey

New Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Jolanta™ Early Season Mated Queens are BACK IN STOCK!

Not only that, we now offer a more cost effective Jolanta™ option at the SAME pricing as our F1 Buckfast queens.

The Jolanta™ Early Season Mated Queens are raised from Jolanta mothers and the daughters are mated in Italy which means they are available a good few weeks before UK mated Jolanta queens.

£39 each and BULK DISCOUNTS APPLY. Only buy from authorised UK resellers like us!

Jolanta™ Early Season Mated Queens | Black Mountain Honey

I could be wrong but I think she has multiple lines, some of which are more Buckfast and some more Carni. If this is the case, it would be nice rather than just Jolanta queens they where Jolanta type 1 and type 2 to distinguish. Maybe Murray will clarify here.

"forgive me my question,Jolanta its buckfast bee line ,or more to carniola
thank you"
[/QUOTE]
from BMH web page ...

"The Jolanta UK mated queens are bred from selected mothers which derive from high scoring colonies within Murray McGregor's UK operation (over 5000 colonies).
With a leaning towards Carnica genes, but locally crossed to add hybrid vigour and toughness. Some lines are from Buckfast stock and all queens are open mated so the mix of genetics is diverse. These are purposely not pure bred lines, but highly selected from a wide range of colony genetics that have been proven themselves in the most challenging situations."

Murray McGregor on the make up of genetics in the UK Mated Jolanta Lines:

'Its more complex than that.Bottom line is that our stock is 'good bees' based rather than a particular strain. MUST meet her criteria before Jolanta allows them into the unit and very quick to evict again if there is something she does not like (ie..more than 3 cells of chalk in the hive? Offski.... back to the field to work.)

We have a preference for carnica derived bees in our own unit, but Jolanta maintains a range of breeder queens (c50) and we can supply Carnica, Buckfast, or Amm...grafted from such queens but open mated to a spectrum of our selected drones (plus a few interlopers...cannot be avoided).
We are strong believers in diversity of genetics in the mix to give the population resilience and vigour. So..we can supply any of these types of queen.

Demand splits down roughly at 60% carnica, 35% Buckfast 5% Amm. Probably reflects the north and west concentration of demand where the bees that thrive in marginal conditions are more popular...if our base was more SE England I think the Buckfast carnica proportion would reverse. Amm is mainly popular in the 1's and 2's market...its 5% of the queens but probably more than 30% of the customers.'

People need to address questions or queries to black mountain the original poster, they are the suppliers!!!! I’m sure they’ll be happy to help😉

I was kinda hoping Murray was gonna answer this one ;) We mooted the possibility of splitting the lines by Buckfast/Carnica as opposed to JolantaTM buts it's not as simple as that as the Buckfast/Carnica lines are not pure lines as they are bred in UK mating sites with a variety of high pedigree mixed drones.

Just a quickie at this silly hour of the evening...been on the go since 6am.

These early season queens are all mated to VSH Buckfast drones in Italy...so the offspring tend to be a little yellower than the home raised, which do not come on stream until mid June. If you want to know the origin of the line the number written on the queen cage is the line...I can tell you if the mother is a carnica, or a Buckfast, or drawn from our own stock of very high scorers on the key criteria. (OUR key criteria!...might not be everyone's)

Lovely. I have one coming next week to make a nuc up for somebody but they now don’t want it so I’ll have her.

Lovely. I have one coming next week to make a nuc up for somebody but they now don’t want it so I’ll have her.
I did try for a picture of one her Buckfasts but she was running around on a nuc side wall so thought I’d leave her bee😉 I’m looking forward to taking some grafts off them later in the season.

Our 3 Jolantas are in, settled and absolutely smashing it, also calm as a cucumber.

Top queens, will definitely be getting more when the time is right.

Just a quickie at this silly hour of the evening...been on the go since 6am.

These early season queens are all mated to VSH Buckfast drones in Italy...so the offspring tend to be a little yellower than the home raised, which do not come on stream until mid June. If you want to know the origin of the line the number written on the queen cage is the line...I can tell you if the mother is a carnica, or a Buckfast, or drawn from our own stock of very high scorers on the key criteria. (OUR key criteria!...might not be everyone's)
Hi
My Jolanta Q has number 41 written on her cage. Please do tell her Credentials if you have time and inclination. She appeared tired on delivery, But ok as temperature had soared on Delivery Date Tuesday just goneii I have banked her with 2 other queens😇

Latest posts

Back