Joe- new member

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeverton

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi All , new to the forum , I have a national hive waiting for bees ATM, I've took my time doing my research before actually buying my first NUC. Can anyone advise if its too late this year to set up now or best to leave until next spring?

Hi All new member here my name is Joe and hail from Liverpool, I have had a national hive for a year but haven't took the plunge with my first NUC yet as I was let down by a supplier in June.Still looking forward to getting started and have had plenty of time to study and read up on bee keeping so I am feeling cautiously optimistic
I would be interested to know people's views on whether they feel it is too late in this season to set up a Nuc or better to leave it now until next spring?
Thanks and look forward to contributing and participating in future

:welcome:

Overwintering bees for the first time when you have never handled them before is a recipe for losing the bees.
Let someone else take the risk and sell you a nuc in Spring when they have passed winter successfully

:welcome:
Wait till Spring.

You need some experience to overwinter bees successfully - there is always a risk of death.
Let someone more knowledgeable take the risk and buy in Spring.

Depends very much how confident you are and the risk of loss overwinter. Even ordered now you could well not receive bees until late April/May depending on weather. A lot of this years postponed.

Hi All , new to the forum , I have a national hive waiting for bees ATM, I've took my time doing my research before actually buying my first NUC. Can anyone advise if its too late this year to set up now or best to leave until next spring?
Welcome Joe, I think you already have your answer ... spend the winter reading the posts on here daily and it will set you up well for next year ... don't be afraid to ask questions if there's things you haven't come across in your research - there are some real innovators on here and things you won't find in the books.

Thanks for the advice , I thought as much to be honest but your comments have affirmed this,it will give me time to find a local bee supplier for nest spring.( recom.3ndations welcome 👍)

Thanks for the.welcome the useful responses and have already read a mountain of useful stuff on other threads , so glad I found this site.
😁

Some one on here maybe in Lanc's or not far away and may even have a nuc to sell in the spring.

If you join your local Assoc, then ask if there is a member nearby who you could watch inspecting their hives- always a good experience of what you have in store.

Buy local from stock reared local, don’t be tempted to buy a cheap swarm it will disappoint, the unpredictability of the hive could make your early years painful ones.

Latest posts

Back