Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Dewin Dwl 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have used Jeyes Fluid to clean some secondhand brood boxes & supers. Using a dilute solution (30~45ml JF to 10litres water) I scrub the wood then I thoroughly hose down the wood and allow to dry. There is a slight JF smell that goes after a couple of days.

Is using JF in this way going to compromise the health of my bees?

What else could be used as disinfectant?

SER 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
With reference to PH keeping his hive tools in vikron, A vet friend pointed out to me once that vikron s is only effective whilst still a pink colour, so if like i do, you keep a bucket for hive tools, washing gloves etc, it needs replacing on a regular basis.

Si.

Dewin Dwl 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
interesting info but what about my use of Jeyes Fluid? Am I courting disaster or just worrying about nought?

Dewin Dwl 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Cheers everyone, had a chat with Jeyes Fluids boffin yesterday. Not known to act as insecticide as it is formulated as a disinfectant.
Proof of pudding was a hive I'd treated this way a fortnight ago. After installing a small colony of bees a week ago it is now boiling over with happy bees, tons of brood etc. No smell of JF to be noted, even though it had been hot and still by that hive. but I was using it quite dilute, well rinsed off afterwards and a week or so airing in the sun/rain. (however I don't intend using it to clean frames...a bit to close to the honey)

Latest posts