Jars prices on the rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A load of faffery
Not here; I'm taking about fourteen boxes to market and as most are worth between £93 and £133 I prefer to get them there in customer-ready condition.

In the end, if a box does the job that's all that matters, but cardboard boxes (or any open box) would be way too risky for me.

I think it depends on wether you are selling via a fair etc or delivering. I take deliveries to retail customers in custom made boxes (jar boxes cut down and parcel taped to the number of jars). If selling at a fair I take in full open crates as shown which don’t get damaged due to the quality of labels.

It came from two different observers. It is a two day event. Were you there both days? I think the incident may have happened on the Sunday, but as I said, was not personally there. I will find out.

As for not being a member......I think that annoyed me more than anything! Two years in a row (2014/15) I helped put up the tents etc. and attended the show. I used to also go to a fair few meetings in Bournville as well.
Their mess-up with my membership happened in 2016, as I think I already said? They certainly accepted my money efficiently enough!

I give up with all these people now. The local lot had their chance to make amends, but didn't. The BBKA are equally stupid. I would join The Bee-farmers, if it wasn't for all the hoops they seem to want you to jump though. I'm not big enough for them yet anyhow.
Yeah I was there for both days and can assure you it wasn't the Birmingham show where boxes of bees were dropped.
In fact Ive been at every show since about 2009... set up and operation!
Associations are not for everyone I suppose seems like a mix up back in 2016 needed an apology. But without all the facts please be careful about spreading inaccuracies especially in a public forum 👍

I don’t believe there was an issue at Birmingham Beekeepers Honey Show… is this where you mean at Winterbourne Gardens?
Oh well.....ok then. I'm not one to spread malicious gossip. I just stupidly repeated what I was told. As for my issue with the SBBKA.....I've 'wittered' on enough about it on here, as I dare say JBM would concur!

I understand Compak south are not going to be at the beetradex this year. They were very reasonable especially if buying bulk

Hex jars look better than rounds jars in my opinion and when set beside one another the hex jars makes it appear you're getting more as they are taller however they aren't as easy to label so that is what put me off them.
As well as looking better before the price increases they are also cheaper 👍👍 haven't compared the difference since January

Agree but as a moderator for the forum I'm sure you agree that information on your forum should be accurate
The moderator that took down my reply. I will get back to the people that told me of this. Caught out was I, in what way? I was told about this in good faith. If I find that the intell was false, I will apologise, unlike many people on here do when they are 'caught out!'

The moderator that took down my reply. I will get back to the people that told me of this. Caught out was I, in what way? I was told about this in good faith. If I find that the intell was false, I will apologise, unlike many people on here do when they are 'caught out!'
Read it while you can! :willy_nilly:

That’s fine. Till then might I suggest that you don’t broach the subject again.

I understand Compak south are not going to be at the beetradex this year. They were very reasonable especially if buying bulk
They always are - I'll know by the first of Feb how much their prices will have gone up

My regular 1066 227/8oz hex jar order with Freeman and Harding has gone up from £365 in mid November to £437 two weeks ago

Have a look at Bottle Company South, they do a max quantity of 432 8oz hex jars with lids but you can put multiples in the cart

x3 = 1296, currently coming up as £423.18 including delivery. I make that 32.65p per jar.

Website also suggests you may be able to get a better rate for orders larger than specified on their site. If I'd had space I'd have put in a bigger order the other day!

Screenshots below:

Screenshot_20220126-223805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220126-224054_Chrome.jpg

Rawlings of Bristol (Compak) sent me this in Dec 2021

"Negotiations are still underway and while we are aiming to keep increases to a minimum, it is expected that increases are likely to be as follows:
  • Glass packaging (inc. jars & bottles). Increases are expected to be between 10% and 25%.
  • Metal packaging (inc. closure and caps). Increases are expected to be up to 45% for tin plate products and up to 10% for aluminium.
  • Plastic packaging (inc. caps, bottles and pails). Increases are expected to be in the region of 10%." (sic)
Because of gas prices to make the products

I had ordered from Compak the first couple of years (best prices for the numbers I was ordering), but last year, Bottle Company South had a better price, inc. delivery for the jars I wanted. Only downside was that I used to use the half trays that the Compak jars came in to store my full jars, and with the Bottle Company South the jars just came in large boxes with odd sheets of card between the layers.
Fortunately, I found that shotgun cartridge boxes make great storage for honey jars. They're just the right size and double walled card so they're tough too and I can seal the boxes up neatly with a label on so I know exactly what's in them. Plus I have no shortage of them!!

Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back