Jars prices on the rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloomberg are predicting a cost of living crisis brewing, with the new tax increases coming in April, inflation etc.
A report issued last week says that upto 40% of the population will not be able to afford food.
It's certainly going to be difficult for the next few years

That's interesting, I always think hex ones are easier to label than round ones.
I have 3 labels on my hex jars which I find easy to apply using the panels on the jars. A customer has indicated they would like 8ox rounds which I think might be harder to label.
View attachment 30068
I like the look of hexagonal jars

So not sure where that story came from
It came from two different observers. It is a two day event. Were you there both days? I think the incident may have happened on the Sunday, but as I said, was not personally there. I will find out.

As for not being a member......I think that annoyed me more than anything! Two years in a row (2014/15) I helped put up the tents etc. and attended the show. I used to also go to a fair few meetings in Bournville as well.
Their mess-up with my membership happened in 2016, as I think I already said? They certainly accepted my money efficiently enough!

I give up with all these people now. The local lot had their chance to make amends, but didn't. The BBKA are equally stupid. I would join The Bee-farmers, if it wasn't for all the hoops they seem to want you to jump though. I'm not big enough for them yet anyhow.

Bloomberg are predicting a cost of living crisis brewing
I'm poor enough as it is. All these '10% of income now spent on fuel' headlines is inaccurate. I seem to spend 23%. I am currently perfecting the art of living on air. Even if I wanted a car, I could not afford to run it now. My partner provides driving services, when I need to transport equipment. She especially loves transporting bees! :laughing-smiley-014
I cycle, walk and occasionally use a train when they have drivers.
I buy basic groceries and cook a lot. No takeaways for me. My allotments provide food as well. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought a coffee in Costa etc.. I brew beer, wine and some mead. It is now rare for me to buy alcohol.
The last few years has seen considerable investment into my beekeeping exploits. The optimist in me still thinks that, for me, beekeeping is the way forward! :p

Viewing box.....observation hive.......something you see bees in......a hive......who knows? I was not there, but got enough witnesses telling me that it was 'Unbeelaughable' Wow.....I invented yet another word today! :icon_204-2:
I don’t believe there was an issue at Birmingham Beekeepers Honey Show… is this where you mean at Winterbourne Gardens?

Ditto I use these at home, they are handy
Drawback with these sort of boxes is that on the journey to your supplier you may meet rain, snow, mist or dust, dog hairs or creeping insects, all of which will compromise presentation and sales. Have seen worse - deliveries in cardboard, jars sliding about in flimsy plastic boxes, old Tesco bags...

I transit stock without those risks and use the RUB 9-litre box, into which 18 x 227, 25 x 113 and 14 x 340 fit without slop (alright, a little on the 113s). This gets pristine stock to market: the boxes are strong, not too heavy when full, the lids lock and they stack full up to nine high.

Granted, they're not free, but they are tax-deductible and will last for many years. Tried the Ikea version but the lids fly away, the boxes aren't strong enough and the jars slop about. The 9 litre RUB (best price here) holds three sizes of hex jars so well that it could have been designed for the beekeeper; tried other RUB box sizes - doesn't work.

Drawback with these sort of boxes is that on the journey to your supplier you may meet rain, snow, mist or dust, dog hairs or creeping insects, all of which will compromise presentation and sales. Have seen worse - deliveries in cardboard, jars sliding about in flimsy plastic boxes, old Tesco bags...

I transit stock without those risks and use the RUB 9-litre box, into which 18 x 227, 25 x 113 and 14 x 340 fit without slop (alright, a little on the 113s). This gets pristine stock to market: the boxes are strong, not too heavy when full, the lids lock and they stack full up to nine high.

Granted, they're not free, but they are tax-deductible and will last for many years. Tried the Ikea version but the lids fly away, the boxes aren't strong enough and the jars slop about. The 9 litre RUB (best price here) holds three sizes of hex jars so well that it could have been designed for the beekeeper; tried other RUB box sizes - doesn't work.
Blimey I can get those for a third of the price from the range, I grant you they haven't handles like that.
I try and deliver jars in boxes if I can wrapped and sealed.
Stored the plastic crates are handy as are wooden wine solid crates.
I don't label jars untill I have orders going out the door and I clean jars down before I label, never had any issues thus far.

Since 90% of my sales are from the shelf at the front of my house I rarely need to transport jars but these work fine when I do. Because I use polyester labels on my jars and print with a laser the labels don't get damaged. They stay outside in the driving rain on the shelves and can even take warming in water if the warming cabinet is not working. it's more expensive but at least I dont have to replace labels that get wet!
When I have sold via shops the jars also look crisper with the poly labels on the shelves.

Blimey I can get those for a third of the price from the range, I grant you they haven't handles like that.
I try and deliver jars in boxes if I can wrapped and sealed.
Stored the plastic crates are handy as are wooden wine solid crates.
I don't label jars untill I have orders going out the door and I clean jars down before I label, never had any issues thus far.
You can get those type of boxes for £1.66?

Yes... 9 boxes for £45 = £5 each and you can get them for 1/3 of the price?????
Arg!!!! Should of read the link properly I thought it was £45 for one swimbo buys them from the range I'll find our what she paid for them.

A load of faffery though. Mine are just put into cardboard boxes (some are re used boxes that the empty jars were packed in)straight after filling - ready to be delivered to the retailer, just drop them off and they can dispose of the box

Latest posts

Back