Jars prices on the rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hex jars look better than rounds jars in my opinion and when set beside one another the hex jars makes it appear you're getting more as they are taller however they aren't as easy to label so that is what put me off them.

Hex jars look better than rounds jars in my opinion and when set beside one another the hex jars makes it appear you're getting more as they are taller however they aren't as easy to label so that is what put me off them.
That's interesting, I always think hex ones are easier to label than round ones.
I have 3 labels on my hex jars which I find easy to apply using the panels on the jars. A customer has indicated they would like 8ox rounds which I think might be harder to label.
IMG_0449.JPG

Ah, I'm assuming you hand label.; does it not take you an age to do that considering the number of hives you have? I use a labelroo so it takes seconds per jar.

That's interesting, I always think hex ones are easier to label than round ones.
I have 3 labels on my hex jars which I find easy to apply using the panels on the jars. A customer has indicated they would like 8ox rounds which I think might be harder to label.
View attachment 30068
Nice blurb for bug excreta honey!

I love my 12oz hex jars they are my favourite. IMG_20211108_134536.jpg
Labels were designed by me and Brian on here, like Neil I could label with my eyes closed, Infact I've fallen asleep before now jarring at the small hours

I love my 12oz hex jars they are my favourite. View attachment 30073
Labels were designed by me and Brian on here, like Neil I could label with my eyes closed, Infact I've fallen asleep before now jarring at the small hours
Like you, I can label with my eyes closed. We both have crooked labels :icon_204-2:
It drives me nuts. I spend ages trying to get them all exactly the same

Those are excellent. Neil. Is that a laser printer?

Like you, I can label with my eyes closed. We both have crooked labels :icon_204-2:
It drives me nuts. I spend ages trying to get them all exactly the same

It's Never going to happen it adds to the home made feel :giggle::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I use a Ricoh SP 213 which is quite small for a laser printer. It gives really good results on the polyester labels.

The nice thing about using a small batch printer means I can put batches numbers and BBE dates on on the main label and adjust the description if I get an unusual batch trike the honey dew.
Or this heather honey which was unexpected.
IMG_0874.jpgIMG_0873.jpg

Last edited:
That counts me out then. After the mess up the BBKA made and the ensuing argument I had with them, they sent my membership and insurance money back last year. I gather that I am 'persona non gratis' now. I had been a member since I first had bees, twelve years ago. Except for that year the South Birmingham Beekeepers Association took my money, then denied ever knowing me! From top to bottom, what an incompetent bunch of amateurs they all are! I'm better off on my own I think. :rolleyes:
South Birmingham bee keepers?
Was the query with the local association or the BBKA?

The whole thing is totally crazy! The BBKA asked on their form how many hives I wanted to insure. I think I put 30. They then calculated how much it would be. I paid by debit card. Then I got a message saying that I had done it wrong and owed them another £1.75. It was amazing. I then told them that THEY must have made a mistake, because they TOLD me how much to pay. After a bit of a slanging match, they sent all the money back and said 'goodbye.'
The South Birmingham brigade.....phew what a bunch. I had information that the local bee show, this year, was marred by a whole bee viewing box being dropped, as it was being installed. There were many stings I was told........... :laughing-smiley-014:hairpull::icon_204-2::nono::sos::sos::sos:

Not sure what you mean by a bee viewing box? Do you mean observation hive?

South Birmingham bee keepers?
Was the query with the local association or the BBKA?
I think it was 2016. I sent in my money (bank transfer) to the South Birmingham lot. In June I suddenly wondered what had happened to the BBKA mag and local publication. I emailed and got a 'who are you?' reply. They admitted to a mistake, but to cut a long story short I never heard another word. I used to help set up the bee show when I could as well! Totally useless.......never again.
They obviously learn their craft from the BBKA :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by a bee viewing box? Do you mean observation hive?
Viewing box.....observation hive.......something you see bees in......a hive......who knows? I was not there, but got enough witnesses telling me that it was 'Unbeelaughable' Wow.....I invented yet another word today! :icon_204-2:

I think the F&H advance warning is curious. in a way I appreciate it if that is what their suppliers are telling them. But we will shop around and will find the cheapest quality supplier.

I just hope they don’t price themselves out of the market as I have used them for years now.

BFA have also given a warning of price increases. 45% on lids. No indication on jars

Rawlings of Bristol (Compak) sent me this in Dec 2021

"Negotiations are still underway and while we are aiming to keep increases to a minimum, it is expected that increases are likely to be as follows:
  • Glass packaging (inc. jars & bottles). Increases are expected to be between 10% and 25%.
  • Metal packaging (inc. closure and caps). Increases are expected to be up to 45% for tin plate products and up to 10% for aluminium.
  • Plastic packaging (inc. caps, bottles and pails). Increases are expected to be in the region of 10%." (sic)

I think it was 2016. I sent in my money (bank transfer) to the South Birmingham lot. In June I suddenly wondered what had happened to the BBKA mag and local publication. I emailed and got a 'who are you?' reply. They admitted to a mistake, but to cut a long story short I never heard another word. I used to help set up the bee show when I could as well! Totally useless.......never again.
They obviously learn their craft from the BBKA :rolleyes:
Curious how you helped set up the show if you weren't a member...
I was at the Birmingham and district bee keepers honey show in September and can assure you no observation hive was dropped. So not sure where that story came from 🤣

Back