Jars prices on the rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy from The Bottle Company South, based in Bristol. I've just looked at their prices at the moment. A 1lb honey jar is around 37p, but shipping is what brings the cost up. My last order of 360 jars cost £45 to ship.
Bottle Company South for me too, but I never have need for huge orders. However, last time I did calculations including postage they still beat the other companies I used for comparison.

I buy from The Bottle Company South, based in Bristol. I've just looked at their prices at the moment. A 1lb honey jar is around 37p, but shipping is what brings the cost up. My last order of 360 jars cost £45 to ship.
I tried to use them and collect as was only going to be 10 minutes away. They refused due to 'covid' 🙄
Wouldn't even put them outside for me to collect. Strange as they are happy for courier to collect. Maybe there's a good profit in the delivery charge.

I tried to use them and collect as was only going to be 10 minutes away. They refused due to 'covid' 🙄
Wouldn't even put them outside for me to collect. Strange as they are happy for courier to collect. Maybe there's a good profit in the delivery charge.
I thought that, but a pallet lorry arrived with my last order. It was only carrying that! The delivery price put about an extra 12p on 360 individual units. I would reckon that double or treble that amount would considerably reduce that cost?

I thought that, but a pallet lorry arrived with my last order. It was only carrying that!
It's how these pallet companies work, everything gets sent to the nearest hub, a whole large lorry takes a full load of 'groupage to the feeder site, they then distribute it to the final recipient, that lorry may have only travelled a few miles from it's depot and delivered other totally unrelated consignments en route. My jars come from Bristol, the delivery firm is Swansea based.

It's how these pallet companies work, everything gets sent to the nearest hub, a whole large lorry takes a full load of 'groupage to the feeder site, they then distribute it to the final recipient, that lorry may have only travelled a few miles from it's depot and delivered other totally unrelated consignments en route. My jars come from Bristol, the delivery firm is Swansea based.
Ahhh....yes.....what a fool! :ROFLMAO:

But its more productive to get on with the job and work with what we have than to beat ourselves up over what someone else has.

Edit: I'm 100% with you on the decorative lids, surprised theyve not become more popular in the UK because they are available to some extent. As the chefs say, people eat with their eyes.

Few samples of what I have at the moment..

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_203200_compress83.jpg
    IMG_20211201_203200_compress83.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20211201_203319_compress95.jpg
    IMG_20211201_203319_compress95.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 23
Free delivery over £50 with F&H

Yes, forgot to mention that, you just need your BBKA details
Thats ok if you are British. They couldn't accept that the scottish beekeepers association was british - something about the sba not paying them or giving them free advertising space like the british association does. Are the Welsh and N.Irland/Ulster associations similarly discriminated against or is it uniquely scottish?

Thats ok if you are British. They couldn't accept that the scottish beekeepers association was british - something about the sba not paying them or giving them free advertising space like the british association does. Are the Welsh and N.Irland/Ulster associations similarly discriminated against or is it uniquely scottish?
I wouldn’t be concerned with the Welsh or Irish BKA but suggest you take it up with the SBA. If the members of the BBKA benefit due to a deal agreed then well done for the BBKA. Makes a change for them to do something right as they usually come in for a lot of flack.

Yes, forgot to mention that, you just need your BBKA details
That counts me out then. After the mess up the BBKA made and the ensuing argument I had with them, they sent my membership and insurance money back last year. I gather that I am 'persona non gratis' now. I had been a member since I first had bees, twelve years ago. Except for that year the South Birmingham Beekeepers Association took my money, then denied ever knowing me! From top to bottom, what an incompetent bunch of amateurs they all are! I'm better off on my own I think. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BFA are forecasting a 45% rise in lid prices!
Not a forecast - they have been told that by the suppliers - they're just waiting to see what all the manufacturers are going to agree on a rise in the jars

That counts me out then. After the mess up the BBKA made and the ensuing argument I had with them, they sent my membership and insurance money back last year. I gather that I am 'persona non gratis' now. I had been a member since I first had bee, twelve years ago. Except for that year the South Birmingham Beekeepers Association took my money, then denied ever knowing me! From top to bottom, what an incompetent bunch of amateurs they all are! I'm better off on my own I think. :rolleyes:
That's sad mate, very sad

That's sad mate, very sad
The whole thing is totally crazy! The BBKA asked on their form how many hives I wanted to insure. I think I put 30. They then calculated how much it would be. I paid by debit card. Then I got a message saying that I had done it wrong and owed them another £1.75. It was amazing. I then told them that THEY must have made a mistake, because they TOLD me how much to pay. After a bit of a slanging match, they sent all the money back and said 'goodbye.'
The South Birmingham brigade.....phew what a bunch. I had information that the local bee show, this year, was marred by a whole bee viewing box being dropped, as it was being installed. There were many stings I was told........... :laughing-smiley-014:hairpull::icon_204-2::nono::sos::sos::sos:

I like selling my honey in 8oz round jars but 8oz hex jars are currently 5p each less from my supplier so in a quandary (should have ordered before Christmas like I meant to but life!). I'm torn on this as it will add up but switching means I need to rework my label design which works best on a continuous surface.

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to move to larger 12oz jars which are a few pence more each but hold 50% more honey, meaning the profit margin per jar is higher- although has the potential to impact sales volume. This will make more difference financially than changing from round to hex in the small sizes.

Back