Jars prices on the rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
I'm not sure all I got told was which I've said before was reapply when you have 60 production colonys.
Where are you on numbers at present? 40 used to be the usually quoted number which made sense because that was where the BBKA public liability insurance stopped. Sounds like there's now a bit of an insurance grey zone unless you can secure your own independently.

plain_hunt 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I've just placed an order with Freeman and Harding and asked about price rises and the answer was yes going up on Jan 1st but she didn't give me a number.

PH
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll get my order in, I’ve been dithering about ordering before or after Christmas.

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Are you going to be able to make a living from that?
The 1 ton is spring and summer and a minimum that doesn't include Heather honey.
I've only just started selling the 1400 8 oz jars I have for sale and I also have all the Heather I told you about plus honey from home. I will be taking hopefully 40 colonys to the Heather might be more.
My living isn't just honey I will have a certain amount of nucs and queen's next season to sell.
So the answer to your question is yes with a combination of all

Swn58 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
Luckily, I ordered 360 10oz jars in the spring. I still have some 1lb and 8oz jars too. This years crop was not as good as last year, so I hope to be okay for a while.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The 1 ton is spring and summer and a minimum that doesn't include Heather honey.
I've only just started selling the 1400 8 oz jars I have for sale and I also have all the Heather I told you about plus honey from home. I will be taking hopefully 40 colonys to the Heather might be more.
My living isn't just honey I will have a certain amount of nucs and queen's next season to sell.
So the answer to your question is yes with a combination of all
👍
If all that is profit then you’re on a winner.
1400 jars would be a pretty picture. You should post it to cheer us all up. Especially those of us who didn’t have a particularly good year. It’s been pants for some 🥲

Last edited:

Stiffy 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
50+
Are you going to be able to make a living from that?
We usually take around a ton each year and after paying for everything and if we are very lucky, make a very, very modest profit, Thankfully we don't rely on bees to keep us or we would starve.

maddydog 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
We usually take around a ton each year and after paying for everything and if we are very lucky, make a very, very modest profit, Thankfully we don't rely on bees to keep us or we would starve.
This is why those of us who try to make our living from bees 🙄 at the 'greedy commercial beefarmer' comments on here. Pretty sure I made a better hourly rate delivering newspapers and milk as a kid 🤣

Etton 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I paid 41p per jar today from Abelo.

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
👍
If all that is profit then you’re on a winner.
1400 jars would be a pretty picture. You should post it to cheer us all up. Especially those of us who didn’t have a particularly good year. It’s been pants for some 🥲
It would, they are in boxes and crates.
I will post some photos when I label up.

Curly green finger's 

BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Where are you on numbers at present? 40 used to be the usually quoted number which made sense because that was where the BBKA public liability insurance stopped. Sounds like there's now a bit of an insurance grey zone unless you can secure your own independently.
63 colonys.
We have 24 wintering nucs and 39 colonys in a mixture of single brood / double/ BH this winter.
Edit : forgot the three colonys out on the common

Goran 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
The jar prices at your place are really high.. I pay 0,2 GBP per 720mL ( around 950-965 grams) jar all together with metal lid which is painted with honey theme on it.. Smaller jar You use are some cheaper. At my place is standard honey sale in these 720mL jars..

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
The jar prices at your place are really high.. I pay 0,2 GBP per 720mL ( around 950-965 grams) jar all together with metal lid which is painted with honey theme on it.. Smaller jar You use are some cheaper. At my place is standard honey sale in these 720mL jars..
But its more productive to get on with the job and work with what we have than to beat ourselves up over what someone else has.

Edit: I'm 100% with you on the decorative lids, surprised theyve not become more popular in the UK because they are available to some extent. As the chefs say, people eat with their eyes.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is why those of us who try to make our living from bees 🙄 at the 'greedy commercial beefarmer' comments on here. Pretty sure I made a better hourly rate delivering newspapers and milk as a kid 🤣
It annoys the heck out of me too especially considering some take precious time out of a busy year to come here to advise us hobby keepers.

Moobee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3..... at the moment....
I've just placed an order with Freeman and Harding and asked about price rises and the answer was yes going up on Jan 1st but she didn't give me a number.

PH
Just placed an order and a note on the page said jar prices rising by at least 10% and lids by 50%…..

Swn58 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
I buy from The Bottle Company South, based in Bristol. I've just looked at their prices at the moment. A 1lb honey jar is around 37p, but shipping is what brings the cost up. My last order of 360 jars cost £45 to ship.

Latest posts