Jar warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
Not sure how many this will affect but hopefully useful...

I tend to use 8oz round jars, sold as 230g. I ordered a new lot of jars from my usual supplier (on ebay), noticed the design had changed slightly but the jars were supposedly the same volume as I'd previously purchased so I jarred up about 50. Then looked at one jar next to my old ones and realised they're a bit bigger... out came the scales and water. New ones holding about 90g more honey than the old ones. It seems the old '190ml' jars actually held 160ml and the new ones around 210ml (all when filled to the neck). By my reckoning this equates to approx 8oz and 11oz honey, respectively, which is not insignificant. I now have a lot of mislabelled jars... :(

Watch out that you don't get caught out- check each new batch of jars!

I now weigh every jar as I put the honey in. I used to fill them to the neck until I realised I was giving 2oz away free every jar! I have two12 Oz types and they take different quantities neckwise to get them to 12oz!

I now weigh every jar as I put the honey in. I used to fill them to the neck until I realised I was giving 2oz away free every jar! I have two12 Oz types and they take different quantities neckwise to get them to 12oz!

Think I will be doing very similarly.

I weigh every filled jar as well using digital scales. 10gms extra honey per jar over 300 jars= 3kgs of honey or £40.
I am not the Government so don't hose money away.

I weigh too as Heather honey has bubbles ,so can be underweight when filled. I like the tall hexagonal 340g jars for Heather. They actually look bigger than 454g and no issue with under filling. They’re not really suitable for other runny honies as look underfilled when the weight is correct

I find it much easier to weigh than try to fill to the shoulder. Just open the tap and watch the scale, close when getting within about 10gms and the weight will be just about spot on! 😀

Latest posts

Back