Jar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is about the same price (23.5p) that Compaq will sell you hex jars in boxes of 108 (including VAT). Was that price inclusive of VAT? If not it's not much of a saving.
But agree about the 12p ones , but were these rounds or hexagonal? The prices I'm talking about are for hexagonal jars which are always dearer then rounds. I'd need to get a quote from compaq for rounds to give you their price.
We need to unify what size, shape etc we are talking about or the comparisons become a bit haphazard.

Inclusive of gold lids for 8oz hex jars

Used to pack in 12 0z with nice hex pattern on lids... CWJ, but I now have little loyalty to any supplier, just shop around for best deal going.

1lb jars look good but far far too expensive for most to buy... to get sales... lots of sales .. price has to be under a fiver!

If you want to see massive variation in prices look at the bulk buckets ( food safe)

Yeghes da!

As with so much in beekeeping, a bit of planning ahead is very helpful! :)

Extraction season is definitely NOT the best time to go looking for good deals on jars.

Buying jars ahead of time, perhaps even when on half-price offer, is a much better 'investment' than leaving money in a bank savings account.
Glass jars store easily and well. (But do be very careful with lid storage!)

My hex jars came from Patteson's (yes, when they were on offer, and yes, that is the correct spelling); my round ones came from the Association's bulk-buy scheme.

We didn't think we was going to get any honey this year, we have some 1lb jars but wanted 12oz ones as well.

[/COLOR]
I was including the price of lids in there as well. Compaq 8 oz hex are 19.5p each including VAT ( £21.04 for a case of 108) with approx 2p per lid (gold). My mistake I was quoting their 12oz hex jar price.

:iagree: But I think a point ITMA made is quite relevant. The smaller user doesn't want this many jars and so the "offers" represent good value. But you have to step in quick and stay on the ball. And how many bother to do this and what do they end up paying per jar if they don't? Quite a lot.

Which is why I offer the prices I get to the smaller beekeepers in my association. I also do the same with foundation. They get the same prices as I do and don't have to worry about the min order or delivery charge as I order more than enough to make sure I don't have them.

I was including the price of lids in there as well. Compaq 8 oz hex are 19.5p each including VAT ( £21.04 for a case of 108) with approx 2p per lid (gold). My mistake I was quoting their 12oz hex jar price.

Not as inexpensive as the Belgium ones... but when the courier drops them... literally .. on your driveway ... and smashes some... jars can not be used... even any whole ones. Packing regs forbid it!!

However when I next need another few pallet loads I will try them again, no doubt!

Yeghes da

I use cwj too. I believe it worked out to about 33p per jar, including lids (if you buy 1000 lids), which I would say is good value.

Did that include labels? I worked mine out a couple of years ago (and prices haven't changed much as we do a massive order through the division).

My 1lb jars were about 23.5p and my expensive labels (including tamper seal and granulation label) another 10p per jar, so 33.5p all in.

Used to pack in 12 0z with nice hex pattern on lids... CWJ, but I now have little loyalty to any supplier, just shop around for best deal going.

1lb jars look good but far far too expensive for most to buy... to get sales... lots of sales .. price has to be under a fiver!

If you want to see massive variation in prices look at the bulk buckets ( food safe)

Yeghes da!

Probably true, icanhopit, but people happily pay £7/lb for my local honey, while a guy a few miles down the road sells a 12oz jar for £7.50.

My clients are mainly Asian including a lot of Muslims, while his are hipsters and yummy mummies.

Probably true, icanhopit, but people happily pay £7/lb for my local honey, while a guy a few miles down the road sells a 12oz jar for £7.50.

My clients are mainly Asian including a lot of Muslims, while his are hipsters and yummy mummies.

Not a lot of them around here... hipsters and yummy mummies... rarely venture South of Newquay or Padstowe ( Rock) ( Roads not made to fit their Chealsea tracters!)

Yeghes da

Compak sell 72 1lb jars with screw lids on ebay for £31.39 free postage, just cheaper than c wynne jones.

Compak sell 72 1lb jars with screw lids on ebay for £31.39 free postage, just cheaper than c wynne jones.

Whereas my association sells those things for £18 (for the same 72, with lids), but for local collection (or at meetings).

I use Freeman & Harding in Dartford. They offer a discount on production of your BBKA Membership Number. I have just bought 72 pound jars with screw lids and after discount all worked out at just ove £25.00. Plus ordered on Friday last week and delivered 09.00 on Monday.

Just click on this forum every day..... Any good offers for small orders such as pattesons usually get posted as people are very willing to help out each other. Likewise good sites form making labels and for equipment come on the forum too. You just have to make sure you don't miss them!
E

My BKA buys a pallet and sells them to members. 30p with lid for 1lb jars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At those prices I am not surprised to see so many second time around jars being used by the jam and Co "farmers market" wallers!

Yeghes da

At those prices I am not surprised to see so many second time around jars being used by the jam and Co "farmers market" wallers!

If you only want a few jars, then Tesco's Value Marmalade (454g) at 26p - and it's not bad Marmalade either. Value Strawberry Jam at 27-28p ? (I forget). They make good jar feeders too, if a bit on the small side.
LJ

I use Freeman & Harding in Dartford. They offer a discount on production of your BBKA Membership Number. I have just bought 72 pound jars with screw lids and after discount all worked out at just ove £25.00. Plus ordered on Friday last week and delivered 09.00 on Monday.

Me too.
They were selling 1gross (144) for £35 at Bee Tradex on Saturday. Bargain snapped up.

Yeghes da

They are very nice hexagon jars and stand out from the plain round jars you see ..if you are going to get the right price for your honey in my area it has to look different and a bit more up market ... those extra pence for a jar are worth it. As long as you factor the cost into the selling price does it matter ? I get £4.50 for a 12oz jar and £3.50 for an 8oz ... about a £1.50 a pound more than the association 'going rate'.

Latest posts

Back