Jar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
As we extracted or first crop of honey today I thought I'd best order some jars, we have a supply of 1lb jars but have decided that we will sell the bulk of our honey in 12oz Jars. We its a mine field looking for jars, the prices vary so much, so offer free delivery with watch £26 delivery. I was just wondering what the Beeks do for jars.

Yes, C Wynne Jones for me too. They also have a good range of coloured lids so that you can coordinate with the label.

I use cwj too. I believe it worked out to about 33p per jar, including lids (if you buy 1000 lids), which I would say is good value.

buy mine from compack south in Bristol. my biggest expense but still cheaper than cwj and others by far.

Pm'd details of supplier in New Inn, Pontypool.

Looks good, depends on postage price. Comparing it to CWJ. Can people collect instead of postage?

Collection is okay,need to check with Neil regards p & p but iirc under £10.

Russ

buy mine from compack south in Bristol. my biggest expense but still cheaper than cwj and others by far.

As long as your order is over £200 it is free delivery from Compaq. Our jar prices work out at approx 21p/12oz and 18p per 8oz including lids (excluding VAT). They also give a 10% discount to members of the BBKA.
And even cheaper if you buy a pallette load from them.

The only problem with Compaq (or at least the one we deal with in Leeds) is they have a minimum spend of something around £100, even if you go and pick up from them. So you can't just buy a 100 jars from them. Not a problem for us as we order several times a year from them.

Expect to pay a premium price unless ordering in palleted bulk

Pattersons seem to be best price at moment on palleted quantities.

had a problem with the company near Bristol ... had some broken bottled due to bad handling by courier... could NOT use... packaging regulations forbid use of any bottles that have been in load that has broken glass in it!

Thank you for your enquiry into the 8oz hex jar.
I have a price for you to take a look at,
1000 units 8oz hex with caps £260.70. Boxed.
We can offer you a pallet at £837.49, this would be for 3564 units with caps and delivered. This would arrive layered in the pallet and not boxed. If you have the storage this is the cheaper way to buy.

However look out for specials... bought 2 pallets from a Belgium based company for 12p per 8 oz hex with screw on lid INCLUDING VAT and delivery... that is usually where they get you.

Need a large DRY storage area tho!!

Mytten da

Last edited:
I buy all my jars from Pattesons when they have the frequent special offers and the jars are on sale at half price

As we extracted or first crop of honey today I thought I'd best order some jars...

As with so much in beekeeping, a bit of planning ahead is very helpful! :)

Extraction season is definitely NOT the best time to go looking for good deals on jars.

Buying jars ahead of time, perhaps even when on half-price offer, is a much better 'investment' than leaving money in a bank savings account.
Glass jars store easily and well. (But do be very careful with lid storage!)

My hex jars came from Patteson's (yes, when they were on offer, and yes, that is the correct spelling); my round ones came from the Association's bulk-buy scheme.

Be helpful if people could quote the shape and price per jar and lid as a reference for the special offers.

Last edited:
We can offer you a pallet at £837.49, this would be for 3564 units with caps and delivered.

That is about the same price (23.5p) that Compaq will sell you hex jars in boxes of 108 (including VAT). Was that price inclusive of VAT? If not it's not much of a saving.
But agree about the 12p ones , but were these rounds or hexagonal? The prices I'm talking about are for hexagonal jars which are always dearer then rounds. I'd need to get a quote from compaq for rounds to give you their price.
We need to unify what size, shape etc we are talking about or the comparisons become a bit haphazard.

Be helpful if you could quote the price per jar and lid as a reference for the special offers.

The March 2015 Patteson's offer (discussed on this forum) on 8oz hex was £17.30 for 100 inc lids, VAT and delivery.
Pro rata the price per jar fell slightly (a penny or two) if you ordered 2, 3 or 500.

/// ADDED - Turns out it was me that spotted that offer and posted it here! http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33008
Went down to 15.22 pence each (inc lid vat and delivery) if you went for 500 ...
Whereas today, they'd ask you for £34.60 for your first 100. http://www.jarsandbottles-store.co.uk/index.php/8oz-hexagonal-jar.html

Last edited:
Thanks, it means their special offer was about the same as Compaq's normal price of 17p per 8oz hex jar (including vat, but without lid). So approx £2 extra per 100 jars when you have bought the lids. If the delivery was free on small quantities it was a good deal, as you need to buy £200 of stock from Compaq before the free delivery kicks in.

Thanks, it means their special offer was about the same as Compaq's normal price of 17p per 8oz hex jar (including vat, but without lid). So approx £2 extra per 100 jars when you have bought the lids. If the delivery was free on small quantities it was a good deal, as you need to buy £200 of stock from Compaq before the free delivery kicks in.

All Patteson's non-wholesale (less than 500 units) prices include vat AND delivery.
AND lids.
Their special offer pricing, including delivery, is VERY special for hobby beekeeper quantities.

Just for comparison, what would Compaq's "about the same" price end up at per jar, for 100 and 500, inc lid and delivery (mainland UK)?

Unless you happen to commute past a depot (or order jars in thousands), delivery costs on jars are a very significant component of the final price.

All Patteson's non-wholesale (less than 500 units) prices include vat AND delivery.
AND lids.
Their special offer pricing, including delivery, is VERY special for hobby beekeeper quantities.

Just for comparison, what would Compaq's "about the same" price end up at per jar, for 100 and 500, inc lid and delivery (mainland UK)?

Unless you happen to commute past a depot (or order jars in thousands), delivery costs on jars are a very significant component of the final price.

I'm not trying to get into a "my company is better than yours" debate. Give people the facts and let them decide where to buy their jars from. There is no one price/quantity fits all needs.
Compaq is a wholesaler they don't do orders under a £100 so you can't turn up and ask for a single box. Several associations buy jars from them in bulk and sell on to their members.
Patesons special offers seem very good for the smaller quantities, but what are their normal prices?
For us spending £200 plus on jars every few months is small beer change. We get through a lot of jars and as this thread has shown we are getting them at a good price.
Although I'm interested if anyone hears of them being offered (as Ican mentioned) at 12p per hex jar +lids. That would be an excellent offer, despite the quantities involved.

I have been to all the companies and none of them will match Compaks prices. that is why this month alone they have sent out over 70,000lb rounds alone.

My bill from them this year is over £900 if I had gone to the others which I tried last year spending a few hours in phone calls ect the bill would have been over £1200 be daft not going to them.

I have been to all the companies and none of them will match Compaks prices.

:iagree: But I think a point ITMA made is quite relevant. The smaller user doesn't want this many jars and so the "offers" represent good value. But you have to step in quick and stay on the ball. And how many bother to do this and what do they end up paying per jar if they don't? Quite a lot.

Latest posts

Back