Jar label's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Avery.

However home made labels always look just that.... home made.

If you are aspiring to top prices then a good jar and a pro label are your friends.

You have to invest.

PH

These are the labels I did myself just using powerpoint. Obviously My address is not XXXX just blanked out so you weird-o’s don’t come stalking me! (LOL)

When laser printed onto adhesive labels I question anyone to doubt there quality to any "professional" label???

PS Note the spelling of Holme as in Home as the village I live is is called Holme (its a play on words)

Last edited:
Check out Avery.

However home made labels always look just that.... home made.

If you are aspiring to top prices then a good jar and a pro label are your friends.

You have to invest.

PH
Sorry - disagree.

Decent colour laser printing on self adhesive labels as good as some professional labels, and in many cases better ( less bleed and better colour registration)

Also allows flexibility in respect of weights and lot numbers.

Last edited:
These are the labels I did myself just using powerpoint. Obviously My address is not XXXX just blanked out so you weird-o’s don’t come stalking me! (LOL)

When laser printed onto adhesive labels I question anyone to doubt there quality to any "professional" label???

PS Note the spelling of Holme as in Home as the village I live is is called Holme (its a play on words)

They are lovely; just want to ask, in ref to the "Selling Honey" BBKA leaflet - do you not need a "Best Before" date on there?

These look to be good quality. Anyone tried them????

http://www.honeyjarlabels.co.uk/

Yup

Got some last year, cannot fault them, and they peel off and can be used again if needed.
And the little sticker explaining about "Granulated Honey" has helped sales as people dont turn their nose up when the honey starts to granulate, it informs them that what they are getting is pure and the best proof of its quality.

I was a little concerned over the initial outlay, but if you are just a hobbyist like me they will last for years and years.

Sorry - disagree.

Decent colour laser printing on self adhesive labels as good as some professional labels, and in many cases better ( less bleed and better colour registration)

Also allows flexibility in respect of weights and lot numbers.

I totally agree with Plumberman, the only thing I would add is 'Photoshop'. With that combination of kit and software you end up with a label (or in my case I have gone for a large front and smaller back) that is truly unique, reflects the character you want to portray and at circa £12 all in for 800 labels beats bought labels on every front. Assumes you have access to the kit, but that goes for many things in life!

Edit add: and you can change labels depending on the honey your are producing and when you get bored with the label!

Last edited:
do you not need a "Best Before" date on there?

Margo B, yes you do. In legal speak it is the indication of minimum durability, it does not have to be best before there are other formats available but for honey you use best before or best before end (see diff below). You do not use 'use-by' because that infers a level of food safety risk if the date limit is breached and also requires the manufacturer to provide a higher level of validation for the date given. Best before normally infers that the product may not be within its high quality life but remains fundamentally safe if the date is exceeded. A simple record of the refractometer reading on the production record is sufficient to prove stability. Legal Root Ref is Section 20, Statutory Instrument 1996 No. 1499, The Food Labelling Regulations 1996 (+ ammends). My Preferred option is best before end and a date as MMM-YYYY (Best Before requires a specific day accurate date - un-necessary but can make traceability easier), for traceability (required by the European Food Hygiene Regulations EC 178/2002 you may also have to include a lot number if the BBE on its own is not sufficient to prove unique batch traceability, hence a specific date that corresponds to say 12 months from date of pack can cover both bases (but not as elegant in my opinion)

Last edited:
Not many have laser printers. Most use ink jet and that is what I was referring to.

It's no good trying to generalise from the particular. If you have a fancy set up then yes your labels will be up to pro standard but the vast majority do NOT have that kit and so have to be thought of too and it was to the majority I was making my comment that a good label is important and that in general home made labels do not do their product justice.

PH

Rosti ... can you provide a few more details? I have access to the colour laser printer and Photoshop ... where do you source your laser-compatible self-adhesive labels for the printer? Are they removable without leaving a horrible sticky residue on the jar?

Thanks

--
fatshark

They are lovely; just want to ask, in ref to the "Selling Honey" BBKA leaflet - do you not need a "Best Before" date on there?

I do not realy sell my honey, just either give it away to freinds/family. Or if I do sell it it @£3 lb, it is just a the gate so not covered by all the red tape.

I do use Photoshop for my artwork, and then just finsih of on power point to set for lables.

It does help that the colour laser printing and lables are free from work through:sifone::sifone:

Jim I think you will find that most of the labelling rules still apply even if you give it away for free.

Jim I think you will find that most of the labelling rules still apply even if you give it away for free.

I think I know the person who will try and enforce that rule it’s the same one who calls me at my workshop telling me I need a licence to play my radio and I have to be registered and licenced if I have a bag of rubbish in my car.

Yup, that be the one.

I must admit the licence for music drives me nuts.

I sell a room for a night, done deal, customer leaves in the morning. End of.

How would they feel if I say to them in a years time umm you stayed with me and so you have to pay me an ongoing fee? What sort of business deal is that?

So how is it that a musician sells his sounds once and then gets paid again and again for donkeys years?

It's insane.

PH

Rosti ... can you provide a few more details? I have access to the colour laser printer and Photoshop ... where do you source your laser-compatible self-adhesive labels for the printer? Are they removable without leaving a horrible sticky residue on the jar?

Thanks

--
fatshark

I use labelHeaven, www.labelheaven.co.uk. Much better range of sizes than say Avery / Staples etc and good print definition. Price can be restrictive if you are just buying the one pack though because of postage - about £5, that said worth it I think because you can get the exact size you want for your particular chosen jar. Dont know about residues on jar though, been lucky and not had to pull any off!

Polyhive, worth checking out home lazers next time you are thinking of upgrading. £120 gets you a fine graphic quality colour lazer with an 800 x 1224 resolution (thats top end inkjet resolution) I chose a Brother and much cheaper than ink jet per sheet. No good for top end photo-printing but then you can always keep your photo inkjet for that purpose (I have, though with digi photoframes I dont even do that now!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back