J Cloth and other tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
OK, so here is a top tip when you're doing a stall selling your honey... Bring a cloth and some water to mop up the spills. A couple of drips and spills from the trial jars can go a LONG WAY :(

Any other tips from experienced stall holders?

Make sure the lids are firmly in place, no tasting, if they want to taste it they can buy it first, no need then for dishcloths and water, saves on mess and messing about.

Au contraire: much to my reluctance - for the reasons you give - we gave tasters on one of the stalls this summer. It was a revelation - so many people who "didn't like honey" realised they did actually like real honey!!

My tip - if you plan to recycle/re-use plastic tasting spoons, keep the "bin" for them on or behind the counter, otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of unmentionables in it :puke:

No water, no cloth; use unscented wipes, keep your tasters in 20ml jars and use coloured straws cut in half. I never get spills. the odd hamfisted bloke usually gets the straw taken off him and I feed him instead :)
Have the odd factoid with a decent accompanying photo printed off for people to read. If you sell mead....it has to be under the counter....ahem!!!!!

No water, no cloth; use unscented wipes, keep your tasters in 20ml jars and use coloured straws cut in half. I never get spills. the odd hamfisted bloke usually gets the straw taken off him and I feed him instead :)
Have the odd factoid with a decent accompanying photo printed off for people to read. If you sell mead....it has to be under the counter....ahem!!!!!

If your selling mead without a licence, even under the counter, i would not like to be in your shoes if you get caught. Too many trading standards officers around our markets.

I'd say that well over 50% of folks who try, will buy. It's essential to offer a taster. I use cocktail sticks. I even had to sell the taster jar today (at a reduced price), as the guy was so annoyed that the last jar had gone.

If your selling mead without a licence, even under the counter, i would not like to be in your shoes if you get caught. Too many trading standards officers around our markets.
Tonge in cheek....husband says he wouldn't put my mead in the lawnmower!
I actually think it's quite nice

Tasting sells honey.

Having just invested in 1500 "disposable" (hah!) plastic coffee stirrers for tasters, I happened to be in Sainsburys when the wooden barbecue skewers (in packs of 150) were reduced to 60p, then again when they went down to 20p (at which point I took all that the branch had left).

My little tip -
Whether or not you plan on recycling your tasting sticks, the container for the used ones needs a lid.
Wasps.
Personal experience.

Why would you waste time trying to recycle tater spoons/sticks? Im sure trading standards would love that one.
I use drinking straws cut in half, sell loads more honey when a taster jar is used.

I burn josticks near the tasting area if outdoors,keeps the wasps away.

Have some banter about the product,so for honey ,things like 'this honey is mainly from -insert flower names- which gives it such a flavour or explain the extraction process.Also let them know your honey is a pure unrefined natural product that is far superior to most of the honey available from the usual sources.I think it's good to have a 'special offer' available such as 1 jar for £5 or 3 for £12.

For candles i explain they clean the air as they burn etc

Having things on the stall other than the products for sale really helps to draw people in,i have a veil that the kids love trying on and some frames,a smoker and other bits and bobs.

Make sure you use sturdy and well protected carriers for your products to stop them getting damaged in transit.

Tasting sells honey.

My little tip -
Whether or not you plan on recycling your tasting sticks, the container for the used ones needs a lid.
Wasps.
Personal experience.

HA HA ... I've been with the association at Manor Farm (Where Wartime Farm was filmed and where our association apiary is located) Bees & Honey weekend. Last year it was in July .. someone ? moved it to September - we had an observation hive with flying bees on the lawn about 100 yards away and the apiary was only 200 yards or so away ...

Not much forage about in the farmland and hedgerows at present ... Never mind wasps !! By about 11.00m the bees had found their way into the thatched barn and were intent on competing with the honey tasters to reclaim their honey !

Fortunately, only one person got stung and he did actually swat a bee ... and he was the grandson of our Treasurer so not a lot of chance of getting sued !!

Great day though .. echo the number of people who 'didn't like honey' and then tasted Heather, Borage or common or garden, garden honey and then bought some. It's nice if you can have a few different flavours for people to try - they can tell the difference.

Smaller jars at a price point sell well as 'starters' for people. The cut comb sold out in no time.

We were also doing candle rolling for the kids ... keeps them at the stall longer so more chance to sell. If you can get a frame of honey in a glass case it adds a further point of interest ...

Last edited:
Au contraire: much to my reluctance - for the reasons you give - we gave tasters on one of the stalls this summer. It was a revelation - so many people who "didn't like honey" realised they did actually like real honey!!

:iagree:

The association has a stall every year at the Neath food fair - sold loads of jars to 'honey haters' last year after they had a taste - same as the lady who owns the printing firm I use - took her a complimentary jar of honey to show off the labels 'i hate honey i do' was her comment - now got a regular order!.

Little tip - even if you only have one 'type' of honey for sale put them in two separate piles with a taster jar at each, you'll get friends/couples arguing over which one tastes best and buying a jar to prove a point or buying one of each 'just in case'. And before anyone comments, even when they are told it's the same honey they just laugh and say 'nah - i prefer that one'.

"Little tip - even if you only have one 'type' of honey for sale put them in two separate piles with a taster jar at each, you'll get friends/couples arguing over which one tastes best and buying a jar to prove a point or buying one of each 'just in case'. And before anyone comments, even when they are told it's the same honey they just laugh and say 'nah - i prefer that one'."

Love that idea :)

I was at the Dorset show yesterday and they were selling cappings in 8oz for £4. Now I never thought of that. Anyone else do it successfully?

I take a frame of unopened comb. The kids can stick a spoon in! Everyone loves it!
Sells jars of chunk honey for me!
E

Why would you waste time trying to recycle tater spoons/sticks? …

Wooden ones always get dumped, but plastic ones (historically, before recently discovering a proper source, these were 'treasure') have been washed for re-use.

Latest posts

Back