Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Ouarda 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I've been told that once the girlies start foraging on ivy that the honey is no good.bee-smilliebee-smillie

Can sombody explain what the problem is with ivy honey and when will the ivy become a problem.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Eyeman 

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Can sombody explain what the problem is with ivy honey and when will the ivy become a problem
Ivy is usually the last nectar flow before winter. Most will have taken supers off before the flow starts- usually starts to flower in Oct to Nov around our area in Manchester. It gets stored for the bees use during the the winter but can granulate making it difficult for the bees to use.
Ivy honey definitely has an 'acquired' taste. If you have ever smelled the flowers then you will know what I mean.

Adam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been told that once the girlies start foraging on ivy that the honey is no good.bee-smilliebee-smillie
Can sombody explain what the problem is with ivy honey and when will the ivy become a problem.Thanks in advance for your replies
It granulates in a flash. I've poured a bucket of ivy honey into a filter, and it's actually set before coming through the other side. It has a very medicinal taste, which the odd person loves but the other 99% hate. Ivy flows from Late August, although through to October sometimes.

Adam

Haughton Honey 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
It granulates in a flash. I've poured a bucket of ivy honey into a filter, and it's actually set before coming through the other side. It has a very medicinal taste, which the odd person loves but the other 99% hate. Ivy flows from Late August, although through to October sometimes.

Adam

It's exceptionally good for getting foundation drawn. Bees seem to go in to 'drawing overdrive' when the Ivy flow begins.

winmag270 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
not saying anymore in case SWMBO reads this... ;o)
I've had hives ignore syrup i've tried to feed them in preference to ivy

i've also heard (old wives tale, never experienced it myself) that once it's granulated and then warmed back to a liquid state the "bitterness" disappears...

:confused:

susbees 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
So what do you do with it? Eat it with a nose-peg on? Leave it for the bees to have trouble with (starve on?)?

Adam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

i've also heard (old wives tale, never experienced it myself) that once it's granulated and then warmed back to a liquid state the "bitterness" disappears...

From personal experience, I'd say no, that's not true. It continues to have a very strong flavour.

Adam

Haughton Honey 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
So what do you do with it? Eat it with a nose-peg on? Leave it for the bees to have trouble with (starve on?)?

I've left it previously as, for me at least, it's a good source of Winter stores - so far mine haven't had a problem eating it!

Cazza 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 ish
My personal experience would be that for me the ivy flow is too late to harvest as I have taken my supers off by the time it appears and am also treating for varroa at this time.
I leave it for the bees to collect and "have trouble with later." ( Actually I don't believe they really find it a big problem.)
Cazza

thedeaddiplomat 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
My bees collected a good super full of ivy honey last autumn, after I had begun to treat for varoa. Left it for them over the winter, and I did not need to provide any other feed at all. Intend to do the same again this year (though this time, I will put the super under the brood rather than leave it above).

justme 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National

At a recent show where I helped on our association stand one of the members brought along some ivy honey that he'd warmed & stirred that morning.
It was offered to people to taste in small amounts, on the day that I was there 38 out of 40 people to try it liked it and bought a jar to take home. 2 thought it was disgusting:.)
I also bought some and although it didnt stay as soft it tasted just the same, in my opinion lovely:.)

Ouarda 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Many thanks for all the replies,:D it's answered my questions and a load more.

I think for this year I will leave it for the bees but as an Herbalist I would be very interested in trying some next year, in the mean time I will research medicinal uses of ivy honey. bee-smillie

thedeaddiplomat 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
May I ask why under and not over as you successfully did last season?

The bee cluster move upwards during Winter.
Because, as a newbee, it took me forever to coax the Queen back down into the brood box in the spring. With the brood above, I am hoping she will get there much quicker - I really don't want to start the season with a brood and a half again.